Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-12-2008 , 05:13 AM

animating apple peel

Hi all,

So i'm not actually animating an apple but the concept is the same. I;m actually modelling a type of lathe used to reduce the diameter of metal cylinders. it rotates against a blade that shaves off chunks to reduce the width. the metal comes off much the same way the peel might come off an apple... in a long spirally line if you get what i mean.

My question is, how best to go about animating this 'peel'. i've set up a cylinder the structure of which based on a spiral or screw, so the sections are ready to come off, but having to split each individual face seem like a lot of work, not to mention how it doesn't look right when converting from poly to sub divs to get the cylindrical look.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

# 2 17-12-2008 , 06:04 AM
Thats a tricky one, If I remember rightly, in Pixars Ratatoulie (think thats spelt wrong!) they used booliand for parts where the characters were peeling the food.

For this though, I might be tempted to use ncloth in some ways to do the peel.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle