Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 121 24-08-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
Well evry one but Witchy LoL.. he likes you,,,( A Lot)user added image

# 122 24-08-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
No, I dislike nasty kids flaming each others work for cheap laughs.

I think Nerdboy has behaved in a really unpleasant manner; by copying him you will be doing the same imho. And inciting people to do it is as bad if not worse.

I won't be flaming his work, I cannot say I am very interested in looking at it, but I won't be rude about it. I like people here giving serious views on what I manage to produce, I like to think I show the same courtesy to others as I hope to get from them, whether they chose to behave like idiots or not.

Last edited by Witchy; 24-08-2003 at 10:13 PM.
# 123 24-08-2003 , 10:16 PM
Yea, you shouldnt flame someones work just because they did it to someone else. It just lengthens the horrible flaming cycle :/

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 124 24-08-2003 , 10:29 PM
Ok boys and girls lets let the flaming and nastiness drop off right now....

Lets get back to what this thread was intended for. Silviapalara has put a lot of time and effort into her dragon and deserves respect for her attempt.

So as of right now lay off this pickering back and forth and just consintrate on giving good crits and helpful suggestions.

silviapalara your dragon has come along way and is really comming along well for your first big project.... Its turning out better than my first organic model. If you need any help or suggestions ask me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Lastly I respect you for not getting to involved in the flaming its takes a strong person to site back a bit and not get involved in something that would be very personal and putting your best effort towards.

Looking forward to updates

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 125 24-08-2003 , 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Kurt
Ok boys and girls lets let the flaming and nastiness drop off right now....

Lets get back to what this thread was intended for. Silviapalara has put a lot of time and effort into her dragon and deserves respect for her attempt.

So as of right now lay off this pickering back and forth and just consintrate on giving good crits and helpful suggestions.

silviapalara your dragon has come along way and is really comming along well for your first big project.... Its turning out better than my first organic model. If you need any help or suggestions ask me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Lastly I respect you for not getting to involved in the flaming its takes a strong person to site back a bit and not get involved in something that would be very personal and putting your best effort towards.

Looking forward to updates

Kurt

i totaly agree

siliva like i said before sory.i see u got many fans on this site..much respect the NERDboy

# 126 25-08-2003 , 03:36 AM
Hey Kurt, I am only baffled that so many people are actually intersted in what I am doing!!! That's why I am staying out of it: I am too surprised to say a word....
Actually, I have learned probably more by all these comments than in 1 year of trying by myself! There really are people in this forum that know what they are talking about, and I am so happy that they stop by a beginner's thread, and actually take their time to help. I think it's great!
I have 2 updates for whomever is interested:
1) Starting September, I am going to start a certificate in Computer Animation. I have done arts all my life, but never actually studied it in an organized environment. I am so thrilled I can barely sleep at night.. I saw there are a couple of guys from ILM doing seminars in that course, and the thought to meet people SOOOO much more experienced than me is just mindblowing.
2) Since I DO listen to people's postings, all of them, and do think about them, no matter how much I like or dislike them, I have decided, in fact, to restart the dragon all over again, this time using NURBS instead of polys. I know NOTHING of NURBS, but that little I have done so far seems SO much better than polys to add detail (who was in this thread who mentioned the importance of detail?). As soon as I have anything worth showing done, I will start another thread, unless the Moderators think I better keep going in this thread.
I don't know why some people are apologizing to ME: I am a guest in this forum like everybody else! I just want you guys to know I appreciate everybody's contribution, and that if I got caught up in any more "aggressive" postings and went out of line, I apologize profusely to anybody whom I may have offended. I love simplymaya, it's the best thing I have found on the Net so far.

Sy
# 127 25-08-2003 , 08:25 AM
good luck Silvia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: good luck to you when you post your dragon too , nerd

Last edited by dragonfx; 25-08-2003 at 09:16 AM.
# 128 25-08-2003 , 11:09 AM
Subscriber
Look forward to hearing about the course and getting some tips on animation Silvia!

# 129 27-08-2003 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
Silvia

First, I am envious about this course that you are going on is it here in the UK? There never seems to as many opportunities here in the UK as there does in the States. I know there is the place in London that does Maya courses (Escape Studios) but it is so darn expensive - is that where you are going?

Second, I would hold your horses on modeling the dragon again with NURBS. They can be very painful unless you are used to them. If you really do want to do it in NURBS flavour then I would suggest modeling something easier first to really get used to them. Try Mike McKinley's NURBS shark for starters that will point you in the right direction.

Third, its nice to have girl 3D artists about - especially ones from the UK. I always thought that 3D was such a male dominated pusuit user added image.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 130 27-08-2003 , 04:24 PM
Hi gazzamataz, thank you for your nice posting!
I am not from the UK, SORRY!!! I am from the San Francisco Bay. The course is at De Anza College, for those who live in the area. I believe it is a farely new program because I did all my GE courses at that college before transfering for my BS, and I don't remember them having it. The certificate includes courses of general film making and editing, art fundations like drawing and traditional 3D animation, computer 2D and 3D animation, and several workshops, with production of a personal short animated movie, and porfolio. Unfortunately the number of sections is very limited so I don't even know if I will find all classes already full when I register.
For modelling with NURBS, take a look at my new thread "New Dragon". They are more unpredictable than polys IMO but it is always a good thing to learn something new. Plus, if things get too bad, I found you can just rebuild the surfaces with fewer isoparms and start over. So far I like the way the new dragon is coming around. Give it a look, please, I'll appreciate!
And for girls in 3D, I have no idea what the ratio is. I always thought that women were more likely to pick up an artistic career while guys did their engineering stuff... user added image Not the case!
At university I took a Computer Graphics Algorithms course, and there were 3 girls including me, all the rest were guys... and in my Software Engineering for Computer Games class, the girls were probably 20% of the class. I don't know why. I never had a problem being the only girl in the group or things like that, if anything, I had only great experiences and made fantastic friends. That's why I don't understand when some girls get all worked up about being the only girl and having to gain respect, etc.

Sy
# 131 27-08-2003 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Very cool,, stick with it and don’t be intimidated by any guys or any one, it’s a hard business to be in (a lot to learn) and can be frustrating at times when your not sure about how to do something a cretin way, so School is the best way to go,,, keep up the good work.

# 132 27-08-2003 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Witchy
I think Nerdboy has behaved in a really unpleasant manner; by copying him you will be doing the same imho. And inciting people to do it is as bad if not worse.

It wouldn't be copying him because silviapalara never said she could model a great dragon and never mocked other peoples first attempts, for her it was a learning experence not some model made to prove how much of a master you are like NERDboys model would be.

@ silviapalara
Good look with your NERBS dragon as NURBS are really hard to work with for the first time and i hope it turns out aswell as this one did.