Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 06-08-2003 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
Hijackers! Hijackers! user added image
No worries user added image Its very interesting, I checked out a couple of those vids and they were every impressive. Now I want to go shoot some zombies...

add dynamics to my laundry list of things to learn.

# 62 06-08-2003 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
question user added image

you know how flash uses symbols? each symbol can have its own cycling animation...

does Maya have something like that? user added image

# 63 07-08-2003 , 12:02 AM
Somthing like the trax editor perhaps? Im not sure what this symbol thing is about though.

# 64 07-08-2003 , 12:14 AM
yeah you can cycle animations by going into window>>animation editor>>graph editor and then checking view>>infinity.

Then select curves>>pre inifinity>> cycle and then doing the same for post infinity.

Any animation curves in the graph editor will then repeat

check the mb file i've attached

hope this helps :headbang:

Attached Files
File Type: mb curvecycle.mb (45.7 KB, 152 views)

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 65 07-08-2003 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
Alan- that cog tets file was tres cool, and I wont begin to try and fool you into believing that I had a clue how you did it user added image
I have to study my dynamics I guess...
I just downloaded your newer post... I am sure that I will open it and be just as confuseduser added image I am so new at animation it isnt funny. but your instructions seem simple enough, even for me user added image

here is the work for tonight: redid the stairs and added some foot pedals and worked on the chair and...user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 66 07-08-2003 , 03:49 AM
Looks great user added image

# 67 07-08-2003 , 10:44 AM
Reminds of a dentists chair user added image

# 68 07-08-2003 , 12:56 PM
The only suggestions that I could think of are to maybe add a bump map to the cog's. Something to make them look a little weathered, or maybe a simple texture. Large industrial machines usually have a worn look or a slight rust like appearance (and I know that most "aren't" rusty). I believe they will look more realistic and not so plastic like. I guess it's cause they look so perfect that it gives the impression that it's a miniature...

Still, a lot of people like the way it is now so you probably don't have to change it, it's up to you... Conform to the masses user added image

The last render looks really good user added image, but the cog still looks a little out of place.

Last edited by 3Demon; 07-08-2003 at 12:59 PM.
# 69 07-08-2003 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber
Oh my! I've missed this thread completely!

The wip shots look amazing howard, looking forward to seeing the final! user added image

- S

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 70 07-08-2003 , 01:56 PM

Alan- that cog tets file was tres cool, and I wont begin to try and fool you into believing that I had a clue how you did it
I have to study my dynamics I guess...
I just downloaded your newer post... I am sure that I will open it and be just as confused I am so new at animation it isnt funny. but your instructions seem simple enough, even for me

It's really really really simple! user added image but thanks for boosting my ego! user added image

I'll help you out with it as and when you wanna do it.

The chair looks fantastic! really really cool. reminds me a bit of this:

https://www.ilm.com/ilmshorts.html

(this is well worth watching believe you me!!)

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 71 07-08-2003 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
I really like the little handles and the monitors on stalks - they look just like your concept! Great work.

# 72 08-08-2003 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
ok I tooka few steps backwards.. and incorperated some of the advice...

"3Demon-add a bump map to the cog's. Something to make them look a little weathered, or maybe a simple texture."

I got rid of all my cogs user added image and textured and mapped a new one.. will propigate the scene when I figure out how to animate them... Like Pure Mornig suggested (I got some learning to do!)

also added a rough star map to the dome on top... and various other textures too.

do you think I should tone down the textures? they are a bit strong maybe?

Attached Thumbnails
# 73 08-08-2003 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
and a downshot too

thanx for all the suggestions and comments BTW!

Attached Thumbnails
# 74 08-08-2003 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
I am not too crazy about the floor texture... will work on that tonightuser added image

# 75 08-08-2003 , 05:30 PM
Vampus
Yeah. they look a bit too aged. Love the starfield idea though user added image