Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 13-08-2003 , 04:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
my main suggestion would be to try to use more of your UV map space. Right now, there is a lot of empty black area on the map. Don't be afraid to move UVs around to try to fit them in the area.

# 17 13-08-2003 , 05:56 PM
In addition to Mike's comments (which I totally agree with), you should also try to sew together as many pieces as you can to minimize the number of seams in your texture. Specifically, the horn pieces could be sewn together, and some parts could probably also be sewn onto the main torso. Overall, it's coming along nicely.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 18 13-08-2003 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gazzamataz
f50 I see what you mean. Just create a poly shape for the wing and then put a well detailed texture onto it - I might try that later. My poly limit has been increased to 2000 now so I am gonna stick with it as it is for the moment.

just curious, but why did the limit get increased? someone seen the model and liked and - and just gave you a higher limit?

keep up the nice work on him/it user added image

# 19 14-08-2003 , 08:19 AM
Subscriber
Hey thanx guys for the comments - at least I feel like I am getting somewhere now!

Mike, thanks for the tip. I realise now that I have started to colour in the map that I should use as much area as possible but I am not going back now - this has all been a learning curve and I am learning.

Dannyngan, same goes to you kid! I separated the bits out so that I could work out what each area was in Photoshop when painting. But since I working on my dual monitor setup, I put Photoshop on my main monitor and Maya in split UV/Perp on the other so I could work out the mesh better - one hell of a way to work - I really like texturing in Maya user added image.

One thing I wasn't sure about though was how big to make the texture map. I made it 768x768, should it have been smaller or bigger?

BabyDuck, the limit got increased because of my cock-up with the poly count...This whole project was given to me as a challenge and I wanted to learn how to make a games character. Initially it was 1,000 polys when I made my error the challenger said it would be alright to keep it as it is. It's now just under 2,000 polys.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 20 14-08-2003 , 01:00 PM
The Maya Mountain
768 is ok. 1024 is the highest I would say to go, as when you resize them for a game, the majority of the time, you'll be shrinking them down to 512x512, or even lower to 256s. Shrinking them to these sizes from too high will lose too much detail and waste time.

# 21 14-08-2003 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber

Little bit o' colour

Boy, I am having so much fun colouring this in that I thought I'd let you lot have a peak you lucky lota sods!

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz
# 22 16-08-2003 , 02:24 AM
nice i can see why you like the texturing phase, I was just wondering if chose to soften the normals woud that affect the poly count. and where can i get info on making game models and finding out triangulate, 512x512 textures, it all sound interesting.

# 23 16-08-2003 , 03:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
softening normals won't affect poly count.

# 24 16-08-2003 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
also make sure all your normals are facing the right way =P Sometimes i find averaging normals works better than softening them. its all about how it looks.

# 25 16-08-2003 , 03:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
Conform will make your normals face the same direction. If this causes them all to be facing inward, you can then reverse them on the whole model.

# 26 16-08-2003 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber

Update!

Ha ha! Just thought I'd post my days painting. I wish I had spaced the UVs out to make maximum use of the UV map and stitched it together more - I am begining to learn the hard way but it is fun!

Well guys n' girls I just got me 'Learning Maya 4: Games and Interative' book from AW for a whopping £24 - it's been reduced. I have only started to read it but it looks helpful! So was your tutorial Mike m8 user added image

I have soften the normals all the way and it makes the model look better. I didn't need to get the normals all pointing the right way they were alright first time round. Anyway here is as far as I have got, I could spend more time doing the texturing but I wanna get on with rigging now. I might go back and do the texturing all over again since I have just looked at a pro texture map and it knocks the spots off of mine. Here's the image…

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz
# 27 16-08-2003 , 07:42 PM
Looking goood. What game is this going in?

# 28 17-08-2003 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
Icarus, i's not actully going in any game at the moment... its just an excercise for me to try and produce a games character.

I have realised on reading my book that I have made hard work of the UV map so I am thinking of re doing it - I want it to look as good as possiblle!

When I have rigged - I need a name - I am gonna do a walk cycle, a run cycle, a death throw, and idle cycle and a take off and landing cycle. That should keep me busy for a while.

What do people think, should I redo the UV? Yeah I think I will!

Gazzamataz
# 29 17-08-2003 , 09:46 PM
wow i like this one alot. finally video game stuff.

# 30 18-08-2003 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber
Well, being a bugger for punishment and having read me book I decided to redo the UV stuff. I know I spent time re-doing the last texture map but I want it to look good!

So here is the new map with legs, feet, arms and wings flipped and overlaid. This means I get to paint these bits once and I can make the pieces bigger on the UV map - great tip!

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz