Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 20-08-2003 , 02:03 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, guys! user added image

Nirsul, while I don't claim master of anything, I know both Nurbs and Polys pretty well. My first whole year was Nurbs before even touching polys, and they haven't changed a whole lot since then. user added image

In my opinion, polys can do everything nurbs can and easier to use.

# 17 21-08-2003 , 12:43 PM
Nice interview mike! I have to agree with you about polys almost everything i do now is polys. Great job, it was a motivational read,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 18 21-08-2003 , 01:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, Brian. user added image

Polys unite! user added image

# 19 21-08-2003 , 01:09 PM
we shall rule the world Hahahahahaha....user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 20 22-08-2003 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
Mikey baby, one thing I forgot to ask. When you were job hunting you found it hard - right? - Now you only use Maya for you 3D work - right? - Well, in my research into games jobs in the UK, I might add, the majority of positions are for people who have skills in 3DS Max not so many Mayans and hardly any Lightwavers.

What I wanted to know was if you found that it was harder still in your search since you only know Maya? Would you have got there quicker if you had the same skills in Max? Max seems to still be the dominant games tool and it helps if you know character studio as well.

Comments from actual people in the games industry, apart from Mike, would be appreciated user added image

Thanks

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 21 22-08-2003 , 09:19 AM
in spain it is so gazz, games companys almost exclusively use max, but then tv and cinema effects studios almost only use maya (with some XSI and almost no Lightwave for good measure but no max...).

Lately the effects schools are all switching to the XSI/avid composer combo, so theres wind of change in the effects industry... But max is still the undiscused champion for games (and im afraid it will be for long time)

# 22 22-08-2003 , 12:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
Max is the majority, yes, however knowing Maya makes it easier to pick up other software. Also, it's not difficult to export a model from Maya into Max, so many studios have both software available (such as the one I work at now).

From what the "No thanks" letters told me (and it's possible they were just blowing smoke) is that it was more a matter of experience and the lack of it.

# 23 22-08-2003 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
Gee Fanx Mikey! In that case I shall not bother with Max... I have already learnt three 3D programs anyway, Maya, AM and Cinema 4D. Another one would make my head burst!!!

Gazzamataz
# 24 22-08-2003 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Another one would make my head burst!!!

And your purse would burst ... too...

Nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 25 22-08-2003 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
Nirsul

It sure would but I use Cinema at work so I don't have to pay for it user added image

A:M is $300 and Maya as you all know is a little bit more but I think it is worth it for the complete version anyway...

Gazzamataz
# 26 27-08-2003 , 03:27 PM
Subscriber
In your interview you talk about an "art test" What dose it consists of?

# 27 27-08-2003 , 05:17 PM
The Maya Mountain
They send you a drawing and ask you to create a model, using guidelines they stipulate, such as amount of time, size and number of textures, polycount, etc.

# 28 27-08-2003 , 05:25 PM
Vampus
That sounds fun. Maybe that should be next months challenge user added image

Although I'm more inclined for film 3d, over games 3d, so I would probably find in baneful.user added image

# 29 22-09-2003 , 10:45 PM
good job man, i hope your game is succesful i will keep an open eye on games from warthog or w/e its called im to lazy to look backuser added image oh and here a toast
user added image Peace bro

# 30 01-10-2003 , 04:09 AM
The Maya Mountain
thanks, dude. user added image As soon as the game is announced, I'll post a write-up here. user added image