Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-10-2003 , 04:27 PM

Is Fur a hastle?

Hi...

Trying to render a character who's face has a fur attribute to it, with a density of some 40000. It takes a heck of a time to render, and so making changes is a real pain in the ass...

My question is: Is maya Fur worth the hastle. Renders sometimes crash among other anomolies...

When it does render, it looks good, but I cant help thinking that 15 + mins for a 640x480 image is taking the P a bit... Is fur really that expensive in terms of computing power? There isnt much on the web in the way of tutorials, so I am hoping someone here knows

CC

www.craigcrane.com
# 2 13-10-2003 , 04:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
The fur used on the main cat in the film Cats & Dogs took 40 hours per frame to render... I think you're ok. user added image

# 3 13-10-2003 , 04:45 PM
40 HOURS?

And there I was moaning about 15-20 mins...

So I guess it is expensive...

Im half way through a project of my own, and Im really starting to wish I had not used fur. I see that te 5.1 update fix's a few fur issues, so lets hope it does.

Any tips for better fur set up?

www.craigcrane.com
# 4 20-10-2003 , 07:09 PM
Fur and any other paint effects are processor intensive items. Maya should come with a warning:

Unless you have a super computer to use to render your images with paint effects, don't bother!

I, personally, haven't found a need for paint effects (yet). And even if I do, it will probably be done rendering one PE item at a time. So, is it a hassle? YES! But that's just IMHO.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu