Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-11-2003 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber

First head model.

Been spending a few hours trying to do a head. It is far more difficult than I expected (and I didn't think it was easy). This is my first ever head model (done a few ultra low poly ones, 15 min work, but they don't really count). I know this isn't exactly perfect and kbrown gave me some (alot of) crits. Shoot it down if you will, but be specific. No "the proportions are wrong, look at photoreference", since I have photoreference and if the proportions are off, what part of them.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.

Last edited by fredriksson; 25-11-2003 at 10:49 PM.
# 2 05-11-2003 , 11:27 PM
Really good for a first head model. It is easier to crit with a front and side view.

# 3 05-11-2003 , 11:59 PM
I agree with Rick. Take a front and side shots. It's easier to judge the proportions and placements of things from them.

Anyway, here's some areas that I think you might want to check closer.

Attached Images

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 06-11-2003 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
Thanks alot kari, I'll be looking into that. Here is the front and side views.

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 06-11-2003 , 03:25 AM
I will get back to you on this one. Going to watch the Matrix. I still cannot believe it is your first head model.

# 6 06-11-2003 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber
It's pretty excellent for a first head and taking you so little time. He needs to lay off the pork pies though!

# 7 06-11-2003 , 04:39 AM
i think the top of the head is too squarish... kinda a flat top, heads are kinda round on the top... user added image

# 8 06-11-2003 , 07:03 AM
Hey man you did a real good job on your first highpoly head! Ive been making alot of heads the past few days just trying to master edge looping before I make gollum for the challenge. Anyway, alot of the things that I want to point already have been said by kbrown. But here are some things:

On the front and side view image, near the top of the neck below the jaw, the muscle/bone?(i dont know what its called) is too sharp as if he is flexing his neck.

The adams apple area, around it, the shape looks a bit wide..I dont know how to explain it...I guess ok, go in front of a mirror and rotate your head on the X axis -30 degrees up and feel your adams apple area from top of the neck going down and you will see the shape that im trying to say..Compare it to the shape of the same area in your front view and youll see what i mean.

The jaw area, looking at it in front view it looks kinda like a flat fat maybe because of the dimples area being pushed into the mouth..

Ok maybe I shouldnt have tried to explain things cuz my english is real bad..But i hope you did understand the stuff i was trying to say.

Real good job though! Way better than my first head user added image

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 9 06-11-2003 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the crits guys. And orgeeizm, I didn't quite get what you meant.

# 10 06-11-2003 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
Slight update. Just moving vertices around, trying to make it look good.

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 06-11-2003 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
Nice work it's coming along well I think - it looks a tad wide front to back in the side view and the upper lip looks a bit hard edged. But I think you are really getting there with the overall shape, has a lot more roundness than the first one. Just shows those Santa skills!

# 12 06-11-2003 , 08:30 PM
Here are my sujestions. The lines were painted with a mouse so they are the approximate distances. Peoples necks have a forward slant to them.

red= size
blue is going to be a problem. To get the proper check muscle deeelopment and facial expressions that is a very importand edge loop. The polies should follow that contour.

The cleft chin should smooth out were the yellow is. Hope my sujestions help. I tried to make them general. The overal shape is yours. Things like noses are all deferent and I think you did a very good job.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 06-11-2003 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
Thanks RickStefani, I'll try to fix what you outlined. About the edgeloop around the mouth, it is a bit difficult to fix that now, but I will remember it the next time. And Witchy, I'm working on the lips, very difficult to get them right. Thanks all.

# 14 06-11-2003 , 10:26 PM
No problem. If you get creative you could fix it. Here is the rough Idea. you will have to rebuild faces. It sucks because you have certain aspects really good. If it were me I would rebuild it. The worste that is going to happen is you will have to start over. The best part no matter what is you had the practice building it with the loops and know a bit better what to do next time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 06-11-2003 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
I did try to fix it, but I got quite a bunch of tri's there, and I don't know how it would look when deforming. But I am unsure wether to rig and animate it at all.

Edit:
Ah well.I did... something. Got a bit creative and got rid of most of the tri's. Smooths ok, no idea about deforming though.

Last edited by fredriksson; 06-11-2003 at 10:48 PM.