Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 13-12-2006 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by erictacti
Well, from my experience, PCs always owned Macs when it came to 3D Software. In College, we did some tests to see the true results, and PCs won out every time. That is, when the Macs weren't crashing :p

yeahh PC's do own macs when it came to 3d software. haha at the mac's crashing, lol good one... yeah i just though about getting a mac since a guy ived seen work with one. guys name is Jason and was an animator for the movie Lord Of the Rings, and yeah he said that it was really fun working on a mac and wanted to make a little animation clip for apple.

everyone which has posted a threat is a PC fan, where are all you mac fans! lol... are there any? well there should be some, haha user added image well we all have our sides weather with one is better or not. One has an advantage over another yet, the other had another advantage over that one...

# 17 13-12-2006 , 02:18 AM

Originally posted by erictacti
Well, from my experience, PCs always owned Macs when it came to 3D Software. In College, we did some tests to see the true results, and PCs won out every time. That is, when the Macs weren't crashing:p Rendering was the biggest problem for the Macs, but I'm sure that's been remedied now with the Intel CPUs. So I don't think it's much of an issue now, but who knows. One advantage Mac has over PCs is the compositing software. Shake is awesome, as is Final Cut. I don't think After Effects and Combustion can compete, IMHO. But, I have toyed with the newer versions that have been released, so who knows.

Final cut is good, but if your get Avid Express pro, its the same, down to the key short cuts!

Dunno which came first though!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 13-12-2006 , 02:20 AM

haha at the mac's crashing, lol good one...

'Tis true. We had G4s crashing left and right, making the Mac Render Farm we made useless. Not to say there weren't PCs that crashed, but the ratio was very few when compared to the Macs.

But, that's not to say I'm more of a PC 'fan' than a Mac 'fan'.

One has an advantage over another yet, the other had another advantage over that one...

This is my standpoint on the issue, as well. They both have good points and bad, which is why I use both at work.

But, 1 huge issue PC has over Mac is it is much easier to build and troubleshoot a PC than a Mac.

Oh, and the dumbest idea ever? The 1 button mouse......What the hell were they thinking?!:p

EDIT: gster123, is Avid Express Pro available for the PC, in it's newest version?

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 19 13-12-2006 , 02:54 AM
Nah man, been out for ages on the PC, I've been using it for about 2-3 years at uni and I dont think it was new then. The latest upgrade 5.0 has got HD, but I think the version at uni is 4.3 or something like that.

edit - Sory Eric, read your post wrong, yes Version 5 is available for the PC, trying to get uni to upgarde to it as they have lots of HD cameras but no HD editing software.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 13-12-2006 at 02:56 AM.
# 20 13-12-2006 , 03:00 AM
Sweet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip, man!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist