Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-11-2007 , 09:24 PM

how to duplicate object with transform nodes

to make this simple, lets say i have an sphere with a cluster on all its vertices. I then weight half of the vertices to have .3 under the component editor. I then make a lattice over the sphere.

Is there a way to duplicate the sphere along with the lattice, clusters, and wieght inputs? I tried using the duplicate special to its max, turning off and on the attributes in it, but the duplicated object doesn't seem to carry the imputs of the cluster nor the lattice over.

Can anyone help me on this? or is there no way to duplicate it like i've mention.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 2 30-11-2007 , 01:30 AM
you might try to just duplicate the geometry alone, but instanced. this way you have the exact same geometry deforming like your base Geometry. you can transform it around as you like and still have the clusters and lattice working on it. additionally, because it is an instanced geometry you spend some ram XD

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 02-12-2007 , 04:04 AM
i could use instances, and they would work fine, but then what if i don't two clusters to move or affect their parented objects at the same time?

The reason why i wanted this is because I was thinking that if later on I wanted to model a complex object with many clusters on it and want to duplicate it, I would want that duplicated object to have (not all) but keep most of its clusters.

With that instances wouldn't work if i want to animate them doing seperate deforming.

if anyone knows a way around duplicating objects with clusters and lattices, that would be great. (keeping their cluster and lattices effect nodes)

# 4 02-12-2007 , 01:19 PM
Ok I finally found out the answer to my question.

For those who ran into the same problem, to duplicate objects that have derform nodes such as clusters or lattices, and still keep their history...

all you have to do and make sure you group the object along with the defromers or bones, etc. into ONE single group. Then after you do that, select that new group and just duplicate special > checking on the input box.

so simple, but quite tricky.

# 5 24-05-2022 , 04:12 PM

Ok I finally found out the answer to my question.

For those who ran into the same problem, to duplicate objects that have derform nodes such as clusters or lattices, and still keep their history...

all you have to do and make sure you group the object along with the defromers or bones, etc. into ONE single group. Then after you do that, select that new group and just duplicate special > checking on the input box.

so simple, but quite tricky.

thank you a lot, your post made me reconsider the duplicate special function ==>

update for maya 2022: duplicate special > check input GRAPH box