Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-11-2014 , 02:12 AM

UV Unwrap issues with Imported IGES HELPPPP

Hi All,

I'm attempting to do an unwrap of a surface that I brought in from another application (Rhino), anddddd as I've heard, it is a nightmare. The IGES file came in as a series of small patch surfaces, with which I couldn't join and couldn't create edge loops that extended past 1 surface patch. I did the Convert>Convert NURBS to Polygons, with Attach Multiple Output Meshes selected. After that, I was able to create an edge loop across the patches using the Multi Cut Tool, but I don't know where to go from here for the unwrapping. Every tutorial that I watch says to start with a Planar Projection in the UV Texture Editor, but when I select the model and try to do a Planar Project, nothing happens. I was able to get a projection using Cylindrical Mapping, but it is pretty rough. I've also tried importing the surface as a SAT file with the same results.
Recreating the surface from scratch in Maya is not an option (it was created from a 3D scan). Has anyone run into these issues before? Is there a solid workflow for unwrapping surfaces imported from the outside?

Thanks in advance for taking a look. Virtual rounds of drinks are in order user added image

# 2 24-11-2014 , 10:33 AM
The thin red line
Could you show a shot of your mesh and is it still in parts................dave

# 3 24-11-2014 , 06:23 PM

Could you show a shot of your mesh and is it still in parts................dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking a look. Here is what I have so far. All of the patches are now stitched together through Attach Multiple Output in Convert NURBS to Polygon. This screenshot also shows my attempt at a cylindrical mapping of the projection in the Texture editor. I also forgot to mention that I am working in Maya 2015.

Bryan

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-11-2014 , 07:37 PM
The thin red line
Not sure I can help you here as the mesh looks like a bit of a mess, have you got zbrush or mudbox 2015 as they have some simple retopology tools...............dave