Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-05-2011 , 11:47 PM

What would be the best way to get an eyeball to pop out of a head

Yes I know it sounds disgusting, actually the render looks disgusting too...which is just what I wanted. But I was wondering if any one could help me in solving the best way to get a an eyeball to fall out it's socket and dangle. I don't mind keying the animation but thought dynamics may help to get the initial fall. Was thinking of may some sort of hair or ncloth on the optic nerve but I don't really know where to start. If anyone knows of any good tutorials they could point me too I'd much appreciate it.

Pete B

# 2 15-05-2011 , 05:52 AM
EduSciVis-er
I would use a screwdriver personally....

No seriously, you could try putting several bones in the nerve and use a splineIK setup, while keying the eyeball on the end. Hope that helps.

# 3 15-05-2011 , 08:07 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good place to start, if not I'll go with the screw driver user added image

Many thanks

Pete B

# 4 16-05-2011 , 06:56 AM
For the "pop" as it comes out of the socket I would sue something like a lattice to defoem the shape of the eyeball to "pop" it from the socket.

Or use something like Ncloth, make the eyeball a cloth with a preset like the beach ball and the head a passive. Parent the eye to a locator then aimatate the locator to pull out of the head. A mess about with the settings should get you to have something like what your after using dynamics.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 23-05-2011 , 05:49 PM
Hey gster.

Thanks for the tips. Here is the finished version https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35704

I did use a lattice to give the eye some squash and stretch and it worked really well. I ended up just going with FK (just bone chain) for the optic nerve. Just hand keyed. I find sometimes I can spend a whole day just trying to get dynamics to work when a bit of hand keying does the job just as well..if not better.

Thanks for your advice

Pete B