Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 25-05-2003 , 02:59 PM

Staying Put... No Maks In The Near Future...

Well, I've talked to a few people and I believe my final decision, in the short term, is to just go with a PC. They're cheaper, faster, easier to upgrade... just as better deal for the money. Phil McNally, the creator of the short film "Pump Action" and a good friend of mine, has said to me that for e-mail and video, the Mac is great. But, for purely 3D work, the PC is better. So many more options... I'm excited now. Some folks here have said you can get a great "Maya PC" for around $600. Which computer would that be? And if not that one, what would you all recommend looking into?

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 47 25-05-2003 , 07:27 PM
My advice is check A|W's site and see what "Qualified Hardware" Maya runs on. If you want support I'm pretty sure that's a big issue. I almost bought a Boxx setup, but chose a DP G4 Powermac instead. They are qualified workstations, and they have a variety of stuff to choose from.

Only thing though, regardless of what you buy, 2 months from now you'll be kicking yourself saying, "Why didn't I wait!! I coulda had... blah... blah... blah... yackity... smackity! Dangit!"

Either way though, enjoy the Maya trip. It's quite the ride! LOL

# 48 25-05-2003 , 08:37 PM
Well said wchamlet!

I bought my Dell, and a homebuilt, 2 years ago, and now even 6 months later, it was outclassed and available cheaper!

Dam!!! hehe...

Isn't that the way it always worksuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 49 26-05-2003 , 03:26 AM
Dangded if ya do... dangded if ya don't. As long as this computer I get will last me for at least 2 years until I can get up more money to throw at another computer... be it a Mac OR /AND PC. user added image Okay, time to go put on my street walking clothes... The pimp is calling my name and I ain't making no money here! user added image

Russbo

Russell Bolding
# 50 26-05-2003 , 03:29 AM
LOL!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 51 26-05-2003 , 01:41 PM
Phil sent me an e-mail last night telling me that Dell is running a deal right now where you get $200 off of one of their Dimension 8300 PCs. It's not the fastest thing in the world but it may just work for me in the interim. We'll just see. user added image

Russell Bolding
# 52 26-05-2003 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kevin
i wouldnt touch a mac with a 12 foot pole, will unless of course I was bashing it with it.

Get your self a decent pc! infact get 3 decent pc`s for the price of a "decent" mac

for futher info on mac...please pm rage user added image

RIGHT ONuser added image

# 53 27-05-2003 , 09:38 AM
Subscriber
Russell

Just thought I'd add my two peneth worth! I use PCs and Macs, I prefer Macs cos they are easier to configure/fix and I love the look and feel of OSX - Win2K seems too fiddly to configure without coming up against a loada tech jibberish - but I like my PC (Games user added image ). I have a Mac and a PC at home and I like them both.

As for doing 3D, PCs are probably better since they are faster and more importantly you have a better choice of graphics cards. Never mind render speeds I mean are you gonna sit there and watch a long render? Let the machine render over night!

Faster machines do not make you better at Maya but a fast real-time redraw IMHO definately helps big time. Processor speed does help GPU speed to. If you can navigate around your complicated scene nice and smooth then that really improves workflow. The fastest card Apple do is the nVIDIA ti4000(?) and it costs and extra £295 whereas you can get much faster although more expensive cards for the PC.

One advantage that Mac Maya does have over PC, and this is a real workflow issue, is TRUE dual monitor support. On the Mac if you have two monitors you can open Hypershade on the other monitor and it works fine as do all other windows like trax etc. If you do that on a PC it goes glitchy and don't work. IMHO you can work happily with a single 20" screen on a PC but I would rather have my two 17" screens any day. Trax on one screen, animation on the other.

Anyway, some personal experience of both platforms. Use what ever you prefer bearing in mind that speed and workflow help but are not everything. Have a look at this link to see what Apple has in store for it's new machines:

https://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html

My Mac is a Dual 500mhz jobby and when Apple release the new systems I will be getting one. It's a great machine for digital video and photography which I do. I dunno whether the GPU state will improve though.

user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 54 28-05-2003 , 10:34 AM

im having it on osx

its very ncie to work really the same thing some small interface differences, but one thing i cant get because of macintosh using:
i dont know why it is but mine g$ is mutch slower than your pc.s
because of my old shit graphic card, i hop that apple is put in some real fast cards next release!

user added image

https://lab.palindrom.ch
https://www.achermann.cc
: daijobe desu :
# 55 29-05-2003 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
I am running it on a SGI (O2) - real workhorse, but I need a second one in Europe so I go with a DP 1.42 GHz G4. Fortunately they finally put in a fast Grafik Card (64 MB ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, which is expandable). So this should do it...

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.