Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 09-04-2004 , 04:03 AM

Originally posted by jsprogg
you need to uv map the model and straighten out the stretching in the uv editor.

Thanks, js...I will have to look into how to do that.
-- Dan

# 17 09-04-2004 , 10:30 AM
hey dvnobles, you model looks great

can you tell me wich tutorials you used for learning? I want to learn ship modelling too....

# 18 09-04-2004 , 06:43 PM

modelling

Originally posted by jam_ed
hey dvnobles, you model looks great

can you tell me wich tutorials you used for learning? I want to learn ship modelling too....

Hi!
Thanks!
Not sure what skill level you are at, but here is what I've done so far... go through all the Maya movies: HELP-->Learning movies.
Then take all the included tutorials: HELP-->Tutorials. They are fairly quick to go through. You can leave the last 4 out until you want to dive a little deeper. If you are just beginning, don't worry at all that what you make doesn't look exactly like what is in the tutorial...and don't be afraid to play around with it and try new things. Try making models just for the fun of it and learning experience. Then come here to simply Maya and take all the free tutorials that you think will help you or interests you. Then as your skill level grows, you may want to buy some tutorials here. I did and it really helps to "see" how some things are done. I learn something new almost every time I use the program, so don't get discouraged. Everytime I didn't understand something, I looked it up in the HELP or asked in the online newbies forum...and I still do. Hope this helps. There is nothing specific to ship modelling that I have seen, but you can apply all the tutorial learning to creating your own. I have created a tutorial on "Modeling a spacecraft in no time flat". If you are interested, I can try to get it down to a reasonable size to post on the web somewhere.
=-=Dan

# 19 10-04-2004 , 06:00 AM
Nearly done...(i think)...need to add decals and interior...

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 12-04-2004 , 08:45 AM
Thanks for your reply dvnobles

So far I've found some information on basic modelling like the "ship tutorial" from "learning maya", but I can't find more specific information on how to detail the spacecraft once you've got the basic shape done.

So if your tutorial covers that I would love to have it.

# 21 13-04-2004 , 01:06 AM

Originally posted by jam_ed
Thanks for your reply dvnobles

So far I've found some information on basic modelling like the "ship tutorial" from "learning maya", but I can't find more specific information on how to detail the spacecraft once you've got the basic shape done.

So if your tutorial covers that I would love to have it.

No, sorry, it is a VERY BASIC tutorial, but mostly what I have done for detail at this point is do a lot of "extruding faces", resize them and then extrude them again and either drag them up or down depending on the look I want...user added image

# 22 13-04-2004 , 01:10 AM

final pics

Okay...here are the final pics I'm going to post on this WIP...I have changed the texture because I didn't really like the one I had. It is pretty much done except I need to add some lights and the interior cockpit stuff....

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 13-04-2004 , 01:12 AM
side detail...

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 13-04-2004 , 01:13 AM
a rear shot...

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 13-04-2004 , 01:14 AM
Side view...

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 13-04-2004 , 01:16 AM
front view....

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 13-04-2004 , 01:18 AM
top view...

Attached Images
# 28 13-04-2004 , 01:20 AM
and last, but not least...or maybe least...a wireframe. Would appreciate any comments from the pros (or anybody) to see if I'm on the right track and maybe a few thoughts on what to work on to get it more "realistic" looking...

Attached Thumbnails