Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-03-2005 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber

prob with the ninja tut

I'm only at the second part of the tut and I already stuck:o real noob... :p

when I attach the head to the neck, they wont convert to subdiv anymore. Can anyone tell me what to do.

hope you can help, cuz I've already learned so much from the tut.

ps exscuse my english.

thx

# 2 26-03-2005 , 10:32 PM
Post a pic up so I can have a look and see what might be the problem...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 26-03-2005 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber

script editor/feedback

I'm guessing you have some bad topolgy in your mesh. When you attempt to convert to subdivs, keep an I on the feedback field (in the lower right hand corner), if it turns red, then there is an error in the operation. Note what the error states. You can also open the script editor to view the error. Post that error here, as it should give forum readers a better chance at providing a solution.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 27-03-2005 at 03:31 PM.
# 4 27-03-2005 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
when im trying to convert i get this massage:
Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details.

and here is a pic of the head... You need more pics from other angles?

Attached Images
# 5 27-03-2005 , 02:25 PM
Ok i think i know what going on..

Open the script editor (littel regtangular box bottom right couner), then scroll over to the right (where you see your error message) you might see something that tells you that the base mesh is not high enough to convert to sub-ds.

You should see a number that tells you what the base mesh should be for example 2460 in the script editor some where. Once you have found this new number go you covert> Poly to sub-d option box and the area where you can change the value from 1000 which is the default what ever number you saw in the script editor. I usally go a bit higher then the number Maya gives you

Hope I was clear enough... if not put the file up and i'll have a look.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 27-03-2005 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
thx for the tips. I went in to the script editor:

// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more vertices is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold vertices, use Polygons->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details.

so I did what the script editor told me to and it worked, exept I got another little prob as you can see on the pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 27-03-2005 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
if it would be better with the file... And thank you so much, I really love to make 3d stuff

Attached Files
File Type: mb shit.mb (163.9 KB, 266 views)
# 8 27-03-2005 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber
This is one of the reason I keep border edges thick. Look at the neck region of the head. Thick lines indicate open edges, not something you generally want in the middle of the mesh user added image

These edges were caused because the normals between the neck and head were reversed.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mhcannon; 27-03-2005 at 05:18 PM.
# 9 27-03-2005 , 05:15 PM
Subscriber
after flipping the normals you'll need to go in a merge the vertices in at the ends of indicated border edges. Be careful under the chin area, as you have tight grouping of vertices there. Once you have all that corrected, it should convert fine

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mhcannon; 27-03-2005 at 05:18 PM.
# 10 27-03-2005 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
thx mhcannon it finally worked.user added image really like your mining bot too, keep up the good work and good luck in the challange.user added image

and thx to you too Kurt, for the help and all the wonderfull tuts...
I cant even wait to finish the ninja tut so I can start at the spider tut, if I ever get time:p

once again thx, finally I can get going with the tut again!!user added image