Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-08-2007 , 08:16 AM

How do you rotate the image plane?

How do you rotate the image plane. I tried going to the help menu and all they said was to input a number in the rotate attribute and lock the camera to plane. I did the first step, but how do I lock the plane? If anyone knows a different way please comment!!!

Thanks for all replies :attn: :attn: :attn:

Signature
# 2 16-08-2007 , 10:57 AM
Jr.Who
Can you please be more specific?
user added image

# 3 16-08-2007 , 11:03 AM
lol I'm getting that a lot.

Follow the instructions below from a new maya window(freshly opened)

1. Make sure you are in single panel perspective
2. tap the space bar
3. Mouse over the side panel
4. tap the space bar
5. Go to View|Image Pane|Import Image
6. Select the image of your choice
7. Don't change any of the default values

How do I rotate the image that I have just imported into the side panel?

How's that for being specifiic?

Signature
# 4 16-08-2007 , 11:06 AM
Jr.Who
Why don’t you just rotate the plane? user added image

# 5 16-08-2007 , 11:10 AM
I don't know how..........

I input numbers in the rotate attribute on the attribute editor, but the image just sits there.

Signature
# 6 16-08-2007 , 11:13 AM
Jr.Who
After you select the plane, hit the “E” key on your keyboard.
user added image

# 7 16-08-2007 , 11:17 AM
I hit E and nothing happened......lol

Signature
# 8 16-08-2007 , 11:22 AM
Jr.Who
lol, I read your post wrong. When making image planes, use this method:
Create a polygon plane (or NURBS plane), put a lambert on it, and put an image texture on it.
user added image

# 9 16-08-2007 , 11:31 AM
Genius!!!! though this setting makes everything laggy every 3 minutes.... like a bad lag spike in cs

Did you think of this Jr.Who this has to be smartest idea I have ever heard about maya

Something must be wrong with my preferences...I'd rather just regularly import my image.

Signature

Last edited by OMg.h4x.; 16-08-2007 at 11:34 AM.
# 10 16-08-2007 , 11:36 AM
Jr.Who
lol, I’m guessing you haven’t done any of Kurt’s tuts from here?

On the lag, I’m kinda lost on what you‘re saying (yeah, yeah, again…). The only thing I can think of, is that it’s a problem with your computer. What are the tech specs? user added image

# 11 16-08-2007 , 09:41 PM
With regards to the original question, after you go to view > image plane > import image and load in your image. You can easily rotate it by going back into the same area except this time you'll have another option:

view > image plane > image plane attributes > imagePlane1

or you can go into the camera attribute editor and select the imageplane tab there

View > Camera Attribute editor (then choose the imagePlane1 tab)

If you look in the image plane attributes down where it says "placement", there is a field for "rotate." This is how you rotate.

The other method—mapping an image to a nurbs/poly plane—is popular because it bogs down the machine less on larger projects. Learn how to do it manually but if you want a quick and easy way to set this up, look into kbrown's refplanes mel script in SM's modeling download area:

https://www.simplymaya.com/download_p...peid=4&catid=8

Once you install the script, you type 'refplanes;' (w/out the quotes) in the cmd line and you can browse to your various images for the various views, click "go" and the script will set everything up for you. Saves time. It's still good to know how to do this manually. Any of Kurt's modeling tuts go through this before the modeling begins.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 16-08-2007 , 11:33 PM
kurt's tuts ( I would love to try them out!!! :attnuser added image

Specs:

Graphic Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100

Processor: AMD Turion 64X2 mobile technology TL50(1.6 ghx, 512kb L2 cache)

hardrive: 120gb 4200rpm PATA HDD

Ram: 1gig DDR2

(My graphic card won't let me do high quality render in the renderer menu on the viewport)

I followed the steps for inputing values to the rotate attribute in the placement section and nothing happened. Though the texture mapping of the image to a plane does work. I'm pretty new to maya and I have absolutely no experience with mel. How do you install?

Signature

Last edited by OMg.h4x.; 17-08-2007 at 01:07 AM.
# 13 09-05-2014 , 02:58 AM
if you don't want the rotate the panel and insert the attribute, why don't you install a third party image rotating control to help you rotate image to any angel you want with just one click, there are many image processor can help you do that.