Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 06-10-2007 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys,

I've attached the updated head. It took me a while to fix everything, but I think this one looks a LOT better. Let me know what you think.

Jay - I tried moving everything around like you said. I think it worked pretty well! THANK YOU!

-MiKE

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 06-10-2007 , 08:15 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Better. Still alot of geometry around the mouth though (vertically), you could probably lose a couple and bring an extra line down fron the lower eyelid .The 3 polys on the cheek need sorting to a better flow around the head. Also try and keep as many polys as even as possible.

Cheers
Jay

# 18 07-10-2007 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, Jay.

Busy day today! Didn't get a chance to sit down and tinker away. I'll see if I can't make some more progress after work tomorrow. I'll post more progress pics as soon as I get them up.

-MiKE

# 19 07-10-2007 , 10:31 PM
Subscriber
Ok, here is the updated head. I think I'm there (hopefully). Either way, I'm happy with it for my first head. I think it's time to lay out some UVs. Any tips on texturing heads for a realistic (or semi-realistic) look?

-MiKE

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 08-10-2007 , 05:12 PM
If you want to do a good texture its usually best to do some hi res photos of a face then edit it in PS

_J

# 21 10-10-2007 , 08:49 AM
Subscriber
Jay, I guess I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I take some high res photos of an actual face, bring them into photoshop and then do what exactly. Do I also bring in the UV snapshot from maya? I'm just unsure of how to get it started.

-MiKE

# 22 10-10-2007 , 10:02 AM
yeah you got it.

but a quick run through anyway...

1: Take your uv snapshot in Maya and save it accordingly so it opens in PS.

2: Open the uv snap in PS. Then duplicate it onto another layer. This last step will be your upper most layer at all times. Put its blend mode to Overlay or screen.

3:Then simply open your photos and drag them into the 'uv' file making sure they sit under the UV layer (top layer). You should now see your textures/pics below the wire of your uv. Edit pics accordingly until they fit the uv map properly.

4: Turn off the uv layer (wire) and save the file out as a jpg to test it back in Maya on the model.

Keep going back and forth until you are satisfied with your texture.

hope this helps
Jay