Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-08-2011 , 08:17 PM

cant select polygons.

I cant select any polygons, this ‪Maya problem help needed!‬‏ - YouTube video should help you to figure watch going on, i have default settings, and it selects surface, but not polygons, so i cant do anything whit maya, i know taht im a noob and new in 3d modelling, please help user added image

# 2 02-08-2011 , 08:33 PM
The Nurb Herd
nice video. 2 things...

1. do you have 'select surface objects' unchecked? its was hard to tell in the video.
its the little button that looks like the japanese kanji for rice field
2. don't use interactive creation. user added image

# 3 02-08-2011 , 08:51 PM
How i can turn "interactie creation" off, i googled for it but didint find anything, i turned "select surface objects" off but it didint help.

# 4 02-08-2011 , 08:54 PM

nice video. 2 things...

1. do you have 'select surface objects' unchecked? its was hard to tell in the video.
its the little button that looks like the japanese kanji for rice field
2. don't use interactive creation. user added image

I tried both, but still dosent work.

# 5 02-08-2011 , 09:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry the interactive creation was just a side issue, i think will help you out in future.
you could try deleting your preferences... but then would have to turn interactive creation off again.

# 6 02-08-2011 , 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Double check, that you've done what Dom said.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 7 02-08-2011 , 10:36 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha, yes do double check...
the kanji clue might have been a little vague. I couldn't think of a better way to explain it.

# 8 03-08-2011 , 11:55 AM

# 9 03-08-2011 , 01:09 PM
The Nurb Herd
delete your preferences.

# 10 03-08-2011 , 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

delete your preferences.

Yeah seriously, because I'm stumped user added image

- Genny
# 11 04-08-2011 , 10:49 AM
You have have turned on some crazy option (probably by pressing random buttons or alt or ctrl combos).

The fastest way to resolve this and show it's not a system of installation problem is go to you documents folder and delete the maya folder. Please do not have maya running. Then the next time you start maya it will create a new folder named maya with default preferences.

To turn of interactive creation go to the mesh menu and you will see a check box for interactive creation just uncheck it. There will also be a checkbox in the surfaces menu.

Once you have deleted the documents>maya folder and re-launched maya. You will get the startup dialogue (just close it). Then before you do anything! Before you press any keys. Create a poly primitive and see if you can select it.

Do not be to discouraged I have inadvertently gotten maya in some odd states. You get modeling and into a rhythm and then press some odd key combo and the next thing you know maya is acting all goofy. This is why once I have a good shelf and gui setup I make a copy on my maya folder and if maya goes bonkers I just replace the maya folder with the copy. It is much easier to replace the folder then spend days trying to figure out what magic key combination you hit to get maya all messed up.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.
# 12 04-08-2011 , 04:09 PM

You have have turned on some crazy option (probably by pressing random buttons or alt or ctrl combos).

The fastest way to resolve this and show it's not a system of installation problem is go to you documents folder and delete the maya folder. Please do not have maya running. Then the next time you start maya it will create a new folder named maya with default preferences.

To turn of interactive creation go to the mesh menu and you will see a check box for interactive creation just uncheck it. There will also be a checkbox in the surfaces menu.

Once you have deleted the documents>maya folder and re-launched maya. You will get the startup dialogue (just close it). Then before you do anything! Before you press any keys. Create a poly primitive and see if you can select it.

Do not be to discouraged I have inadvertently gotten maya in some odd states. You get modeling and into a rhythm and then press some odd key combo and the next thing you know maya is acting all goofy. This is why once I have a good shelf and gui setup I make a copy on my maya folder and if maya goes bonkers I just replace the maya folder with the copy. It is much easier to replace the folder then spend days trying to figure out what magic key combination you hit to get maya all messed up.

I did what you said, and ques what, still dosent work.

# 13 04-08-2011 , 04:58 PM
Sorry then it looks like you have to go to autodesk for support then.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 14 10-12-2013 , 06:15 AM
Resolution (well.... a work-around):

I'm a student, use Maya in class, needed at home, got the trial.. blah blah.

I Had The Same Issue! Couldn't select polygons, (Could but only in the out liner).
Had some more issues, manipulators weren't showing up right, rotate didn't work and some other fun stuff

To make a long story short after tons of trial and error it ended up being that maya was having a compatibility problem with Windows 7.

I solved it by getting virtual box from oracle (free) installing XP in it and then re-installing maya inside an xp VM.

BINGO! that did the trick, so it was windows 7 and I think an issue with my video card, all i know is its working in XP.

And sorry helpful posters from earlier, it's not preferences, pref file or env file or deleting the maya folder or anything inside. It's an open GL issue with win 7/video card & maya

XP to the rescue.

Maya is still the greatest 3d prog of all time and anything you can do in other prigs you can do in maya, you just have to try a little harder to figure it out lol.

Last edited by quaidoralious; 10-12-2013 at 06:18 AM.