Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-04-2012 , 03:14 AM

Rotating multiple objects around world space

I have a bunch of animation controls attached to lattice clusters. I'd like to be able to select them and rotate them around a single center, mimicking the rotation of a group or a bunch of objects all with the same pivots. Unfortunately, most people recommend the grouping or changing of pivots as I mentioned above, but considering everything's rigged together already, I'd rather not change the pivots or hierarchy. Is there another way? I feel like I used to be able to do it but maybe not.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 2 15-04-2012 , 03:28 AM
EduSciVis-er
You could create another control and parent constrain the other controls to it, so that they act like they are in a group, but the hierarchy doesn't change.

# 3 15-04-2012 , 03:33 AM
Yeah, that was my thought too, but it's not always gonna be the same controls I want to rotate together, so I was hoping I was just missing a setting in the tool options window or something, since it seems like a common action. Or am I just being too resistant to grouping?

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 4 15-04-2012 , 04:02 AM
Technical Director
If you don't want to group, you could create a locator, and use parent constraints instead.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 15-04-2012 , 05:24 AM
I guess I could do stuff like that on the fly. as I'll be doing it often with different controls, I'll probably want to write a script for it, and then delete the locator once I'm done with it or something.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 6 15-04-2012 , 09:08 AM
Technical Director
Or just leave it in. It isn't hurting anything.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.