Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-02-2013 , 10:51 AM

Help with Maya Fur please

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't seem to find a fur-specific thread. user added image

I'm working on an anthropomorphic furry character, and I noticed that to fully cover the geo I have to have a really high density of fur, especially if the fur is short. 90k plus, otherwise I can see the geo. Is that normal? Is that a typical number?

I'd also love to hear any optimization tips and general best-practices sort of tips when working with fur.

Thanks, all,

Calvin user added image

# 2 25-02-2013 , 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Is your UV layout looking good?

- Genny
# 3 25-02-2013 , 04:28 PM
Pretty good, I'd say. It's just the head and they seem pretty evenly laid out.

# 4 26-02-2013 , 01:27 AM
Super Moderator
Mind showing the uvs and the rendered fur?

- Genny
# 5 26-02-2013 , 08:27 AM
Actually, I don't, but I'd have to get approval from the higher ups. user added image When I do I'll post it. For the UV's though, they're nicely laid out and none of them are overlapping. And like I said, they're pretty much evenly laid out, meaning the face and head don't take up much more space than other parts, like the ears for example.

It's just that I can still see though the fur to the object underneath. I could bump up my density a lot more but I'm trying to optimize and am worried I'd just end up sending render times through the roof if I did. user added image

# 6 27-02-2013 , 10:16 AM
Hello, I'm trying to paint the direction of my fur but cant seem to be able to. I tried attaching it to a cylinder and I can't paint there either, but when I just add fur to the cylinder, I can paint direction for that. I can paint baldness and length though.

Any thoughts on why its behaving like that?

Thanks

# 7 28-02-2013 , 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bumping up the density is probably needed. You could get some render time relief if you changed the fur shader to volume instead of hair primitive in the fur render settings. As for the direction painting problem, I can't think why that would happen if the fur isn't pin straight(0.5 curl or 0 inclination).

- Genny
# 8 04-03-2013 , 05:48 AM
Thanks for the advice Gen user added image

I'm now trying to get the fur to move with hair, and I'm getting an error that says I need unique cache names. Does this have something to do with the way I cache the hair? I don't see a way to rename my cache's in the create cache option box though.

Also, is there a way to tell a hair system to use a particular cache? I was planning of having a generic cache of hair just blowing in the wind and using it for different shots. Is that possible with Maya fur/hair?

Thanks again user added image

# 9 07-03-2013 , 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
That one I've never run into since it's usually still images for me. Maybe this bump will get someone who's dealt with that to see the thread.

/bump bump user added image

- Genny
# 10 07-03-2013 , 10:02 PM
The thin red line

# 11 02-07-2013 , 08:06 AM
Hello again all,

I'm still working on a a project with fur, and I've run into a brand new problem. When I work on a character with fur, I can get it the way it should be but when the file gets transferred to another computer, we've run into problems like the fur not showing up or the fur going all disco and showing up like a mosaic of color.

We've remedied this in a roundabout way by copying the characters onto every computer and re-baking the fur files on each one, but the issue comes up again when the characters are referenced or imported into a scene.

I feel I'm missing a step somewhere. Is there a proper procedure when transferring files with fur, and referencing files with fur?

Thanks everyone