Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 19-12-2003 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
Now that is a cool idea!! I think it'd be better if you could actually see the dark shape of the rex head around the eye.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 32 19-12-2003 , 10:32 PM

Originally posted by PilotLtKettch
and about size, measurements are correct, he isn't a huge T. rex, he's only about 9 feet tall at the hip (so he can fit inside the building)

Yeah, but the t-rex is the same size throughout the entire shot. He's the same size away from the camera as he is close to the camera. That's what I meant about size. You have no perspective in the composite. Which is why he appears to get smaller as he gets closer to the camera.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 33 21-12-2003 , 01:48 AM
and here's the T. rex getting up, to pursue his prey

Attached Files
File Type: rar getup2.rar (312.1 KB, 293 views)
# 34 21-12-2003 , 02:19 AM
Not bad bud.. have some suggestions.

1) As he starts to pull up i think he would arch his neck and back a bit more to compensate his weight and give him some more momentum to pull up. As it looks right now he should fall over on his face with the way his weight would pull.

2) After he stands up maybe sit him back on his hide legs a bit more to give him some more secondary motion. He's leaning forward to much in my eyes still.

Great start and great model rig job by the looks of it.
Would be fun to play with.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 35 21-12-2003 , 05:14 AM
I think he's out of balance too. It looks to me as the front of his body is to heavy to be balanced only by that tiny tail. I would expect it him to fall down when he takes that step back. Maybe he could take a quick short step forward with the right leg to get his balance. But then again, what do I know? right? :p

That's a pretty cool rex by the way :thumbsup:

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 36 21-12-2003 , 12:13 PM
I think the balance issue might be due to perspective (I did tests beforehand to make sure he was balance on his legs). I changed the camera angle and location for this shot (due to story, not apparent balance...) and thanks to all who replied

Attached Files
File Type: rar getup3.rar (57.5 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by PilotLtKettch; 21-12-2003 at 12:34 PM.
# 37 22-12-2003 , 04:02 AM
very cool!! user added image
I agree with Kurt. T-rex is a large creature, and due to this,.. he should have less controll over his body or coordination of his movements especially when he gets up... make him bend from side to side, or move a few foot steps back and forth to balance himself out...
ummm just imagine yourself getting up right a way... when it get's all black in your eyes... and record you manner of balancing yourself...
great modelling!!! looking forward for more!!! :bgreen:

# 38 23-12-2003 , 04:10 PM
Looks to rigid to be sleeping.

# 39 27-01-2004 , 08:46 AM
well, I have returned after a long winter break, and I've started texturing him color wise (I'm waiting for a foggy day to finish filming the rest of the movie), and here's an image for you all to look at and critique. thanks in advance
oh and it's only his top jaw that's been textured, and there's a temporary brownian as the bump map

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 27-01-2004 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
OOer ...he looks hungry!! Very nice.

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 41 28-01-2004 , 03:50 AM

tail

Hey, your rex looks great, just thought if it would look more natural if his tailed was curled on the ground in some way instead of straight

# 42 28-01-2004 , 04:29 AM
I can't wait to see your texture. I tried to texture a Raptor that i modeled...I gave up..very hard to get a good textuer...but Uv maping is half the battle. can't wait to see more of it.
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 43 28-01-2004 , 05:45 PM
I've bergun blocking in the rest of his color, it's loosely based on an Asian water dragon, but I'm having trouble with the uv seams, if anyone knows anything concerning that, don't hesitate to tell me, this is my first real texturing attempt

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 28-01-2004 , 08:14 PM
Man, this looks great, do you have a primative with the live shots on them, and then the rex matched?

Maybe instead of having its head straight forward when laying down cock it to one side, like over its left shoulder.

Lungs not guns....
# 45 28-01-2004 , 09:16 PM
there's actually just a few planes tehre modeled to fit the ground, the curb and evrerything that his shadow would fall over, and I assign a use background shader so it shows through