Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 31-01-2004 , 11:40 PM

text blowing off chalk board

Not sure if this is an animation question or special effect. However, I would like to have text written on a chalk board and then blown off into a tunnel.

I tested this out by creating text, making it a soft body, and then adding a turbulence (wind) field to it. It seems to blow around (x,y,z direction) but not fast and the letters dont necessarily scatter away from eachother. It's very uniform and slow. I messed around with the channel box fields and thought I'd ask in here before I waste more time.

Any thoughts?

user added image user added image

here is what i have so far:

https://louiseeaton.com/THESIS/text_test.avi

which, as you can see, the text curls, but then turns back and unfolds.....i just want it to curl and then fly off.

Last edited by capella62874; 01-02-2004 at 07:46 PM.
# 2 01-02-2004 , 09:10 PM
What I would try first:

1. Draw your text using curves.
2. Under the Dynamics menu set, make particles emit from the curves with low attennuation, so they just emit, then stop.
3. Shade them to get a "chalky" look, probably go with HW points, multipoint etc...
4. Then, set the initial state for the particles, so the sim starts there.
5. Then simply add a horizontal air/Wind field to taste with a little turbulence thrown in for fun.

PS, try the PaintFX chalk brush as a separate layer in your comp attached to your original curves for a more "chalky" look, and just fade that layer away with the blown-away "dust" as it animatesuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 05-09-2005 , 09:24 PM
Where do you set the initial state for the particles? My air is not blowing the particles or anything.

# 4 05-09-2005 , 10:26 PM
Where do you set the initial state for the particles? My air is not blowing the particles or anything.

# 5 06-09-2005 , 12:49 AM
Sure!

Select your particle shape and in the DYNAMICS Menu goro:

SOLVERS > INITIAL STATE > Set for selected.

Check the docs for detailed usageuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 06-09-2005 , 08:20 AM

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 06-09-2005 , 05:06 PM
Wow thanks to everyone for their help. I actually posted that over a year ago and have since graduated from school and finished! Ha,. but thanks again and good luck.

# 8 26-09-2005 , 07:55 PM
Great!

Might you still have your final shot laying around that you could post to show your results?

Good job graduating man!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com