Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-02-2004 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber

Soccer Field

https://www.cyberstormxe.com/uploader/soccer.jpg

Second thing ive made in maya besides my F15

https://www.cyberstormxe.com/uploader/plane.jpg

Anyway, any critism is greatly apreciated, im still a softmore in highschool, and since they dont teach 3d in more than 14 highschools in FL (which they teach strata 1.7), i think any knowledge will give me an advantage in college.

Anyway, im gonna add on to the bleachers and make a box for the people to commentate, and hopefully trees and an atmosphere.

Btw, if anyone knows how id go about making a fence or a net for the goal, id like to know that to. Oh yea, and how the heck do i important images as textures in maya? Is that possible?

# 2 05-02-2004 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
btw, i realized that the bottom left flag was off

# 3 05-02-2004 , 03:43 AM
Ok. The field is a bit over lit. Change the light decay from none to quadratic, which closer simulates how light dies. As light travels it loses intensity, if the decay rate is set to none, then the light will not be natural.
Shadows would also help the scene out. You can try using depth map shadows, with the Dmap Filter set to about 3, setting the Dmap Filter to a higher level than one softens the shadows around the edges.

(My wife just told me she thinks your field is Cool user added image )

For the Lights, I believe that they are spot lights, you should try increasing the Penubra which will soften the edges of the lights as well. At the moment the edges are too sharp. I believe you can see the effect that it will have on the light in the Light Shape box. Soft light edges occur in real life, the amount depends on the light and the distance.

To import a file texture, you can go to the attribute editor, ctrl-a,
go to the material node/tab. There you will see a little checkered box next to the different attributes. Click the box, select file from the next menu- Click on the folder icon next to image and navigate to the folder with the image.

I believe that you have a good start. Sorry I got to run, I'll finish writing tomorrow user added image

Keep up the good work, and check-out a site called ************************* sometimes they have free videos you can download. Peace

Improve
# 4 05-02-2004 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber
Thanks a lot for the help I Followed your steps and got...

https://www.cyberstormxe.com/uploader/soccer2.jpg

It seems a bit dark though, I even set every lights intensity to 10, and it still appears that way. This is prolly because of the decay being turned on I assume. But with that on, is it possible to light up the lights even more than that? Soccer field lights are very bright

# 5 05-02-2004 , 02:48 PM
Use a little glow, or a cool lense flare. I like the conveyance of size - feels huge!

Lungs not guns....
# 6 05-02-2004 , 03:43 PM
You can actually set the intensity of the lights past ten, you just have to type it in to get past ten then the slider adjust to the new highest setting. This must be done in the attribute editor because I think if you do it in the channel box it always resets it to ten. So you can really crank it up there to like 100-150 then adjust as needed.

Did you understand the file instructions, if not let me know.

Sorry I wasn't a little more clear last night I was on my way to sleep.

Improve
# 7 05-02-2004 , 04:01 PM

or a cool lense flare

there's no such thing user added image

How come the stanchions of the lights are so bright? they wouldnt be that bright wit the way the lights are positioned.

what gamingproverbs said about the lights is exactly right, if you turn on decay and penumbras and drop offs you have to compensate in the intensity settings. The way it stands at the moment is that the lights are very bright but the picth doesnt reflect their intensity. I would think about adding some indirect ambient light to simulate light bouncing and being absorbed etc.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 05-02-2004 , 04:49 PM
No such thing? I don't understand? Oh, I think I was thinking of refraction off of the glass, not really a camera lens flare. Oh, this would rock if you have a fine mist of rain falling.

Lungs not guns....
# 9 05-02-2004 , 05:06 PM
i just meant that lense flares never look cool user added image they look crap in general (makes good work look cheap user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 05-02-2004 , 05:17 PM
Oh, got it =)

Lungs not guns....
# 11 05-02-2004 , 07:31 PM
Make your own lens flares if they look crap :p

Immortal: try to set some noise to your field, by adding a grassy texture, and try to make a hollow space in the lamps in wich you place directional lights; your lights shine too much to ever direction. Also, try adding the net for the goal user added image You're smoothing da gruv over da smooth curlls user added image . ( I have no idea what it means, someone said it in a film though, and therefore I needed to say it too :p ).

# 12 06-02-2004 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
Is there an actual fence/net texture? Or will i have to make each indidivual string for the netting?

# 13 06-02-2004 , 08:42 PM
Depends on the quality you wantl if y-ou want another overall view of it, you could make an undetailed texture of a net, and apply the (I don't know it's name, bulge?) almost checker alike texture to the material's transparancy user added image

# 14 11-05-2022 , 03:12 PM
A football field is made up of 360 x 160 square feet, or 57,600 square yards. It is a size of about 32 acres.