Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-03-2004 , 04:20 PM

3 and n-side poly question

I am a newb modeler and I was wondering about 3 side and n-side poly's.

I am having a hard time keeping my models light and one of the major causes is trying to keep everything to quads.

Very often on a long model to convert one 3-sided poly to a quad I have to split 50+ polygons just to add one edge to a tri!

When I start trying to add muscle details on an organic model I very quickly end up with a completely unmanagable number of edges and start getting unwanted bunching of contour lines.

Since most final renders are done on a smoothed poly surface and smoothing has the added benifit of converting all the n-polys and tri's to quads is it better to keep the model lite and allow a couple n-side and tri's in the mesh?

PS - I don't see why the Maya developers can't add a function to automatically quadrangulate a mesh without adding super heavy geometry?

# 2 04-03-2004 , 04:26 PM
While I am on the subject of trying to keep a model lite are there any built in features of Maya to optimize a mesh to try to reduce the geometry? I have played with the reduce command but have found it almost always just creates a totally wanked useless geometry.

What would ne nice would be a function that simply took even slices in x, y, and z through a model surface to crated a perfectly evenly spaces surface. I could think of several cases where something like this would be very useful.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 04-03-2004 , 04:37 PM
Its is very hard to keep a mash 100% quads..... A few tris in the model wont hurt just really try and stay away from the 5 sided faces. The reduce option is ok but some times you get nasty looking results.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb