Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-03-2004 , 09:42 PM

Computer

Hey All,

I am heading off to college(FullSail) later this year, and I was wanting to get a laptop(preferably) that would easily run Maya.

I downloaded the Maya PLE onto my dad's computer which is pretty damn fast and to get render previews it takes 10 minutes with anything that has more than a box or circle. For those of you who have a laptop, or even normal computer...what do you prefer I buy???

Currently all of our computers were custom built, but would it be better to get a cpu from a major company like Dell?

>Please dont suggest any supercomputer over 10 grand because I have to pay for everything myself :p

Thanks guys!

Dan

# 2 09-03-2004 , 10:15 PM
Alienware user added image

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 09-03-2004 , 10:47 PM
I'm running Maya on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, and everything runs really well. I've only had a couple of viewpanel refresh bugs, but I attribute that to video drivers and windows XP being a piece of cr*p. user added image Otherwise, things are nice and speedy on this machine.

It has a 1.7 GHz Pentium M, 1 GB RAM, a 15.4" widescreen at 1920x1200 resolution, and a 128 MB Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro Turbo video card. The laptop is about 7 lbs, so it's not exactly a lightweight box, but it's not too heavy to carry around on a regular basis. I also added a combo DVDRW/CDRW drive, 802.11 b/g wireless networking, and bluetooth. Total cost of the machine was just over $3000.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 10-03-2004 , 05:28 AM
alien ware is good but way to expensive... i'm thinkin a dell.. but i dont pay much attention to lap tops... i'm still struggeling to get my desktop upgraded... no funds

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 5 10-03-2004 , 06:39 PM
I wish I could get some alienware...but that is WAY out of the question user added image

Thanks Danny, that setup is exactly what I am looking for...and the 7lbs I dont really care about...I'd still use it if it was 50lbs...well...maybe not.

Thanks for the help!

# 6 11-03-2004 , 04:39 PM
well you are in college .istill have two years to come to college