Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 03-08-2004 , 11:02 PM
but Paint fx isn't renderable in Mental Ray... not that it matters a lot, but when I render this there is a slight difference in quality between Software and MR. I think I'll do some reading about using the HAIR system...

# 32 04-08-2004 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
I think you can convert the hair into poly's if you use Hair, but I'm not sure...

Check this out...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 33 04-08-2004 , 11:16 AM
played around with Hair yesterday, will try some more today. Thanks for the link, blomkaal!

# 34 04-08-2004 , 03:59 PM
Technical Director
there are also some great tutorials at learningmaya.com
ps. great head!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 26-08-2004 at 08:22 AM.
# 35 04-08-2004 , 06:16 PM
thanks Peltra, but what's blendshape?

# 36 04-08-2004 , 08:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You can convert PFX to poly too, what ever you do hair, fur or paint fx using MR or MS its still gonna take a while to render any way.

Blendshape is for example, a way of creating facial expressions for characters. Basically you can create several copies of your head model and change the mouth to a smile, the next one you might raise an eyebrow, then a blink and so on. Once you have done this you feed these back into your head model by shift selecting each one but making sure you select the original last, then go to animatin menu, deform, create blendshape. then if you open the blendshape panel you'll have some sliders from which you can make your character smile etc. Its also useful for correcting joint deformation on a rigged character. I hope this makes sense
_J

# 37 05-08-2004 , 12:00 AM
Aha, makes perfectly sense!

Btw do you (or anyone else) know how to control what parts of a polymodel that should have Hair? Now the whole model gets hair if I "create hair". I know there is the "paint hair"-tool, but I wanna be more precise and paint my area in photoshop.

# 38 25-08-2004 , 07:41 PM
Added eyebrows, which I'm not that satisfied with (paintFX), looks way to dark. Also added clothing which at this moment only has a boring non-realistic red material. But it's a start anyways...

Attached Thumbnails