Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-09-2004 , 04:05 PM

XP SP2

what do you guys think of it in general?

and particularly: is the firewall trustworthy or should i just put it down and renew the Norton susbscription/switch to mc affe?

# 2 22-09-2004 , 07:44 PM
Subscriber
Norton sucks. Personal experience, known vulerabilities, they do not notify customers of, when you get hit with the virus/worm, for an additional $30.oo USD fee, they will re move it! Definately go McAfee. I personally went AVG. I am on XP sp2, and my IT person (my son) still has not a shred of trust in it.

but, that is just mho

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.
# 3 23-09-2004 , 01:53 AM
Seems liek the build in one with XP SP2 is the bare bones it will do one task(sometimes) and one only. Very few options and hard to handle if you know what your doing or what you want to do. Idiots firewall basically...

Norton sucks.... They USED to be good. When they cared, now they are running of the name alone and the(what used to be) a good reputation.

Try mcafee, AVG, even Sygate Personal Firewall is decent too.)and freeuser added image)

# 4 23-09-2004 , 01:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm avoiding it for now. :p

# 5 24-09-2004 , 09:14 AM
and youre doing right!... they get more annoying with each SP... icon and windows popping everywhere(specially at start) "you are in great danger, you choosed to turn off the firewall and even worse you didnt turned on the auto update at all!" and some programs that just worked fine now have incompatibilities and wont work or will look as if they did but do nothing... oh and even better, if you capture 3 gbs of footage and then try to move it to another directory, windows decides that it looks like a suspicious virus activity and shuts down the explorer!
thats the kinda things that makes you think about switching to linux or (shivers) if you have lots of money to spare to mac...

Last edited by dragonfx; 24-09-2004 at 09:24 AM.
# 6 24-09-2004 , 10:18 AM
I've been on SP2 for quite some time now and have not had any problems execpt one which I knew beforehand:

"As per Christian Dettner's announcement, which sourced from RME. Watch out if you have any Firewire 800 device. The firewire drivers in SP2 will clamp it's speed down to 100Mbps. This affects not just RME but ALL 1394-800MHz speed interfaces."

Couldn't capture anything from my camcoder after installing SP2. Luckily there is a workaround:

"It can be gotten around by restoring the old XP-SP1 version file of c:/wndows/system32/drivers/ohci1394.sys over the top of the new one, after installing the SP2 update."

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 24-09-2004 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
I get annoyed when it askes me if im sure I want to run an .exe. It's Microsoft trying to be too helpfull that makes me miffed. Nice jesture having a firewall and anti-virus.

_LIVID

# 8 24-09-2004 , 04:16 PM
AND the mediaplayer stops playing when you rightclick until you exit the menu, behavior that didnt exhibited before...

so i am regretting the whole SP2 thing...

(thanks Kb, but the capture actually went right , it was that it didnt liked me trying to drag it to another place! restarting mysteriously solved it... ehhh... you didnt had any soft incompability window popping after installing it!?)

Last edited by dragonfx; 24-09-2004 at 04:24 PM.
# 9 24-09-2004 , 08:03 PM

Originally posted by dragonfx
you didnt had any soft incompability window popping after installing it!?)

Only one... Nero burning rom... updating to the latest patch solved that problem...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 10 24-09-2004 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
SP2 has made my system slightly faster, so its all good i guess user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 11 28-09-2004 , 08:41 AM
it did it again, windows thinks: if it has 1Gb+ and i get orders to move it or rename it it is a virus, ill better shut down the explorer...

On the bright side my isp is making an aggresive internet offer 2MB/s speed+tv+phone for 45€ which means that they have changed their equipment and removed the caps on my puny 300kb connection wich (after crawling all yesterday evening) now runs at 75Kb real... instead of 30... for no adittional cost user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 29-09-2004 at 12:28 PM.