Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-04-2005 , 11:34 PM

Problem how do i 'break' a curve

Hi i have recently started a new tutorial creating a head using curves and nurbs but have stumbled on a problem, i think i know what the problem is and what i need to do to overcome it. There should be an image displayed (first post with an image in im afraid so this post may be edited several times lol). Within that image there is a curve that i want to split into four pieces with the break points at exactly where the other curves join can anyone help, i think its quite an easy thing to do??
please excuse the poor english but i think the picture helps and shows what i mean.
thanks in advance
acute.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-04-2005 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
Switch the curve to Edit Point component mode. Select the edit points where you want the new curve sections to end, then select edit curves>detach curves. This is a pretty basic nurbs function, so you might want to reveiw some nurbs basics before continuing on with any tutorials... just a thought. Good luck and happy modeling.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 10-04-2005 , 12:42 PM
thanks for the quick reply, hey you got to ask questions to learn new things!
thanks for your help.
acute

# 4 10-04-2005 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
Didn't mean to sound so curt, its just that there is so much that is covered in the manuals and the help files. I ran a search for curves in the help files out of curiosity and detach curves was the 2nd item on the list. Then I checked the NURBS modeling reference index and found that chapter 4, page 111, covers "split a curve or surfaces (detach)."

I agree that questions are absolutely required for learning, but I am also a firm believer in checking available resources first. Maya's help file has tons of written tutorials on how to create and edit various model types. This what I mean by brushing up the basics.

Water under the bridge now as they say. Where did you get the tutorial for the head? It looks familiar, like one where a couple people have gotten stumped on lofting from the upper eye lid.

Good and luck and enjoy learning Maya.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 11-04-2005 , 01:27 PM
'learning maya 6 - modelling'
sorry i did check my referance books but i couldnt find it