Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-08-2006 , 12:08 AM

how to position bones without effecting their children

After rigging my character, I realized that one of the bones isn't in the correct place. I want to move the bone to the correct place, WITHOUT effecting the character and the child bones.

In other words, How do I move a bone without moving its children with it??

Short of un-linking them, then linking them back again...

Thank you!

# 2 22-08-2006 , 09:34 AM
Not sure, as I am not by my computer at the moment, but I think you need to press Insert. That should allow you to move the joints individually. As far as I know you can't move the 'bones'.

# 3 22-08-2006 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber
yes, with the joint selected and the move tool active, press the insert key (home on mac). the tool will change, and you'll be able to move the joint (or rotate, scale, etc) without affecting the child joints.
you cannot move the "bones" or connections between the joints themselves, however. just the joints.

# 4 23-08-2006 , 08:12 AM
Ah, cool, just what I was wanting. I should have known it would be the insert key... I use it all the time for pivot points.

Thanks guys.

~Peace.