Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-04-2007 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber

How would you model this axe?

Hi.

I'm doing a small clip where I need my ogre/orc-like creature wielding an axe. The ogre is modelled and all I need now is its axe.

The axe should look something like this:
hAxe

How would you approach the modelling of this axe? I haven't really done anything like this before and would really like to know how any of you would do it.
Thanks for any replies.

//Emil

# 2 04-04-2007 , 04:18 PM
I would start off with making the handle; a basic cylinder scaled up to make a shaft. After that, I'd throw in some split-edge-loops to make an area where the head of the axe "comes off" from, and make some extrusions.

# 3 05-04-2007 , 09:43 AM
You should specify wheter or not its going to be smoothed. user added image

This is just a rough scetch of how I would've made it(you should have more polygons tho, especialy if its going to be smoothed.)

user added image

I only used create cylinder and extrude so its extremely simple to create. (Asking this question I presume that you are a beginner) user added image

A picture of the orc would be nice.

# 4 05-04-2007 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
Haha. I'm not a complete beginner. The question really was if you would have used polys or NURBS. It's going to be smoothed, yes.

I find it hard to make clean soft lines with polys combined with hard edges. Thats the bad thing with polys I guess, but I haven't really done so much with NURBS, so I wasn't sure on how to do it.

Thanks

# 5 05-04-2007 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
Here's the orc/ogre/troll btw:

user added image

All that's left to do is clothing and texturing.
Feel free to comment and any suggestions are appreciated.

//Emil

# 6 05-04-2007 , 10:11 AM
I recomend that you use polygons, it takes more time to make it look good but at least I feel that you can work more freely with the model.

And when you want that kind of answer you should specify your question. user added image

# 7 05-04-2007 , 11:29 AM

Originally posted by kablink
Haha. I'm not a complete beginner. The question really was if you would have used polys or NURBS.

I'd use poly's for inorganic things such as an axe. The time(s) I would use NURBS would be on things that have smooth, continuous forms, such as living creatures or cars.

When an object is converted from NURBS to polys, it generates a hideous amount of faces, so it's not very game-friendly to model in NURBS. Not to mention that I think no game engines support/use any NURBS geometry; character, car, object/prop or otherwise.

# 8 05-04-2007 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Here's an early test render:

user added image

# 9 05-04-2007 , 11:57 PM
gr8 work kablink i will also try.