Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-05-2007 , 08:52 AM

I'm having issues with my rig.

I'm working on my first ever character in Maya for a class, and I'm running into issues. I rigged the skeleton before binding and then smooth bound the skin and robe to the skeleton. The parts are all separate instead of being one solid skin because that's how the instructor wanted us to do it. It's supposed to be easier for us newbs I guess. The skeleton worked fine once the skin was bound, until I painted weights on the skin, and now the torso pops out of the robes when I move my spine controller.

I just want to know what I can do to fix this without having to go back to my version before I bound and painted weights on everything. I got everything else moving without deforming too badly and it took me forever. user added image

user added image

# 2 13-05-2007 , 12:12 PM
Senior Software Developer
It looks to me that the issue is with the way the rig control is setup. If you are moving the NURBS circle, you have shown selected, then moving that will cause issues.

TBH we won't be able to tell much unless we can see you outliner and see how the rig/skeleton is set up.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 13-05-2007 , 02:25 PM
Subscriber
yeah, any chance you can post the file?

# 4 14-05-2007 , 12:32 AM
It won't let me upload it (too big) so here's a link to a YouSendIt drop box I have set up. I hope the link works. https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...UENsamMwTVE9PQ

I'm thinking I should probably just go back to before I even bound the skin or added any controls. :\ I had the controls set up before I bound the skin, for what it's worth, since that's how the instructor showed us.

# 5 14-05-2007 , 08:06 AM
Sev I have downloaded it and will look at it shortly.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 6 14-05-2007 , 08:41 AM
OK, m8.

I think the issue you are having is associated to the location of the spine control. I suggest putting in a new one just above the joint you are using for hips. Possible about 2 joints up from the hips or root. The head control seems to act correctly. Also if you are not able to move the control, then move the pivot point to the spine.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 7 14-05-2007 , 03:40 PM
Should I put it around the character this time as well? I've been noticing most people have it set up that way so I guess it's easier to deal with than the way I did it. Anyway, thanks for taking a look and pointing me in the right direction. user added image

# 8 14-05-2007 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
make sure to export your weighting before you start adding/removing joints!! otherwise you'll be crying a lot when you lose all of your work

# 9 14-05-2007 , 09:27 PM
Good tip! Good thing I read this again before starting. :p I've been saving a new version after every major change, but I never though to export anything.

Edit: Actually, um, how does one go about exporting weights? Just select the modified objects and export?

Last edited by Severitas; 14-05-2007 at 09:35 PM.
# 10 14-05-2007 , 11:41 PM
Okay, so I deleted the control, as I had an expression to control the spine with it and that got rid of that altogether, but when I manipulate the spine now, the torso is still popping out all over the place, so I'm suspecting it's a binding issue and not with the control itself. I'm going back to my version before I bound to see if I can get it working properly. *sigh*

# 11 15-05-2007 , 06:22 AM
If you are keeping the geo seperate, then why not just parent the joints to the geo and do to that way?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter