Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 25-05-2007 , 02:09 PM
Subscriber
my only crit is tat its not showing the work on your legs. I think a full body shot is needed to show of all the texturing.

Love the shape and look of the sword apart from the letters on the blade- they look too big or too deep can`t quite put my finger on it.

# 77 25-05-2007 , 03:57 PM
At your request...

Attached Thumbnails
# 78 25-05-2007 , 06:18 PM
Your texturing looks really awesome sandman300! Last challenge, jsprogg and 3dM@niak inspired me to really work hard to improve my modeling skills. Your work here is making me want to work hard on my texturing skills. Also, I think the sword is a nice addition and adds more flavor. I like flavor.

If you've got time, and if you havn't already, you should check out subsurface scattering. I hear it's great for skin.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 79 25-05-2007 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
Loving it. The red and gold and the pattern designs does it for me user added image
Are you up for a challenge Sandman? Add wear and tear to the armor (still within the cartoon realm of the original design). I'm thinking more a field knight that puts his stuff to good use hehe. Not too much. I love how solid and inpenetratable that armor looks. I'd wear that to Rugby on Sunday haha.

I know it's not a rigging and posing challenge but may I offer you an anatomy trick? Knees, shoulders and elbows are just pivots. It's the pelvis (hipbones) that drives all motion. The hips and most importantly the Nose knows where the weight is. If you can imagine that, your characters will have strong, balanced poses.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 25-05-2007 at 11:58 PM.
# 80 29-05-2007 , 02:52 PM
good job sandman - this is looking very nice - the sword is looking very cool! definitely agree that the pose could do with a bit of work - he is just looking too stiff. the weight of your figure should rest on one of his legs to make it look more natural and the body should have some twist in it - 'contropposto'.

also, not sure about his groin target either...

Last edited by arran; 29-05-2007 at 03:00 PM.
# 81 30-05-2007 , 01:15 AM
arran, Rigging and animating is definately something that I need to work on. I appreciate the help. I had to completely re-rig him today because it was just ugly. I'll likely do it again tomorrow.

AlphaFlyte, If I had another month to work on it... It could be done.

Perfecto I'm glad I could inspire. I'm always looking at what other people do to get myself psyked up to create.

Here's what I did today (my back yard).

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 30-05-2007 , 12:39 PM
Senior Software Developer
cool m8, but the paint effects render is kinda spoiling the look. Its the lighting thats wrong.

Gr8 work on the medevil guy tho user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 83 30-05-2007 , 05:38 PM
The number one thing I like about your model, sandman, is that you did a great job mingling a bit of silver with the gold color; I'm not sure what it is about that technique that intrigues me so much, but in all the works that I have seen that utilized that "metalic mixture" seemed more effective than just using gold colors by themselves.

So kudos for that user added image

https://i.ivillage.com/DF/103105/snac..._Kudos_366.jpg

# 84 30-05-2007 , 09:08 PM
R@nSiD, I don't know what a paint effects render is. I'm assuming that is a Maya plugin? I'm a Lightwave guy. What about the lighting do you think is wrong? So I can try to fix it.
I'm glad you like him.

severinianthony, I started out thinking all silver, then I tried the gold and it just looked better, I actually thought of making the chain gold too but Then I thought that gold chainmail is really just impractical. gold is too soft an heavy (not to mention expensive)to make the chain solid, and plating would look ugly very quickly. On the other hand I was trying to keep it as simple as possible while giving the appearance of complexity. On the third hand (if your keeping track), I found from experience that if you have too much gold it stops looking like gold.