Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 121 13-02-2008 , 06:05 AM
Subscriber
D'oh,

how come I never saw the link before!

Yeah, that looks brilliant and once you've smoothed out the lane transition it'll be spot on.

I managed to get my animation finished and handed in on time (yesterday) and I've just put a link up for it on my thread. I've still got a report to write and a presentation to make but the hard stuff is out of the way now so I can sit back and relax for a few days.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 122 17-02-2008 , 03:12 AM
hehe, no probs mat user added image
Just saw on your post that you'd like to have a play with this - if you could pm me your email then I'll send the relevant stuff over

here's another angle of a three lane road with lots of traffic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEe05Lq1o24

You wont see it in this clip but I've finally got the cosine movement working when changing lanes (it uses half the wave movement for moving out and half for moving in and gives a nice ease in/out effect).

I'll put up a render of an example highres road blockage with visible lane changing soon user added image

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 123 17-02-2008 , 04:54 PM
and here's another angle showing a multi lane motorway (missing a central reservation/median) with a blockage set on the right hand side. This was added by using the user interface to create a locator that is then assigned a road lane and position along it. The locator also has a keyable on/off attribute so you can use it like traffic lights to stop and start traffic flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrDN5UyIAY

I'll try and get some example videos of using different parts of the user interface done today user added image

Simon

www.flash-fx.net
# 124 17-02-2008 , 06:36 PM
This looks great! Only thing is the car movements arnt smooth as in turning, acceleration/decceleration

GOOD WORK user added image

Louis

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 125 17-02-2008 , 06:59 PM
Cheers louis user added image

Yeah the acceleration/deceleration is set at a fixed value at the minute and is a bit too much. I should be able to change that:
- acceleration from stationary or near stationary should be high when overtaking but the rest of the time it should be gradual
- braking should be high when nearby vehicles are moving very slowly or stationary but gradual if they are moving at a decent pace

The lane changing isn't too bad but I am cheating by applying a 'quick' acceleration value if the vehicle is stationary and that is causing the jerky start to the movement. I'll try and sort that out though

Cheers for looking over it and giving some good pointers user added image
Simon

www.flash-fx.net