Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-05-2008 , 07:24 PM

Zoinks! Maya PLE does not support plugins!

Hope that got your attention!

In case you hadn't already figured it out, I am a Maya newbie! user added image

I have been learning about Maya using the PLE (Painfully Limited Edition) and have just discovered (I think) that it does not support plugins or import/export for most of the file types I would ever want to use for modding. This makes me sad. user added image

Please tell me that I am wrong, that this is all a bad dream, and that when I wake up, $5G programs will suddenly become free and everyone will learn to love one another and be happy and eat lots of cheese.

# 2 05-05-2008 , 07:39 PM
mmmm.... cheese.....

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 06-05-2008 , 12:25 AM
sharp cheddar.

get yourself an educational license. not sure where you are, but in the US, it will cost you $350 - $400.

# 4 06-05-2008 , 06:22 AM

Originally posted by arran
sharp cheddar.

get yourself an educational license. not sure where you are, but in the US, it will cost you $350 - $400.

Ah, to be twenty again! Alas, I am not a student, so no discounts for me. Thanks, anyway.

I take it by your response, however, that my supposition is correct?

# 5 06-05-2008 , 07:41 AM
Senior Software Developer
All Maya PLE versions are resticted by:

Watermarks on renders (which makes renders hard to see)
Limited Export formats (I think u get ma and mb for your troubles)
NO plugin support (that means zero, nada, zilch, nyiet)

PLE is designed to teach u the basics of modelling, lighting and everything Maya. TBH as long as you enrole in a learning program and get an id, you should qualify for a Student Edition.

Maya PLE means learning Maya and nothing else, which is fine until u want to start to incorporate other geometries from other applications...

Save your cash up until u have around $2,000 for the Complete Version or $5,000 for Unlimited.

There is a free modelling software out there called Blender, and its very good, esp since its open source (https://www.blender.org/)

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 06-05-2008 , 09:21 AM
just find yourself a friendly student.

or better yet, just take a higher education course in....maya! that's what my wife did. it might cost you a bit, but it'll still be a ton cheaper than buying it proper and you'll still have some change for some Caciocavallo Podolico.

# 7 06-05-2008 , 09:42 AM
@ R@nSiD: Thank you very much for clearing that up for me! I do know about Blender (I've even used it a little) but I can't use it for some of the things I want to do owing to a lack of plugins and such. Hence my interest in Maya PLE.

@arran: Don't think I'm quite ready for the drastic career change. user added image I'm an old dog: I got a steady job, a mortgage, the whole nine yards. Although my job is getting pretty annoying....

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the input. You're a very friendly bunch!

# 8 07-05-2008 , 09:25 AM
PLE actually allows you to import FBX from other software, but it only allows you to save as it's own proprietary formats (.ML and .FBL i think. .FBL allows compatibility with MotionBuilder PLE) Giving PLE full functionality would defeat the purpose of owning the business (free software does not make money), but as is, it is still a superior option for many over granting a full version for a limited time (then denying access altogether, like other software options).

# 9 08-05-2008 , 01:46 AM
@Kratch: Thanks for the input. Using your funny file extensions I was able to unearth this document, which would have answered all of my questions in the first place.

(Now why couldn't I find that the first time?) user added image

And I agree: the PLE, in spite of its limitations is a good thing. 30-day trials are just too much of a bummer.

I consider this case to be officially: closed.