Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 24-06-2008 , 03:07 AM
looks much better, but that HDR still kills me, haha

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 17 24-06-2008 , 11:02 AM
I think you need to work on the flakes some more, they still seem too large and thers not enough of them, your rendertime will go up though.

If you can go aout and have a look at a car with metallic paint, maybe take some pic's

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 24-06-2008 , 11:09 AM
the HDRI causes some interesting reflections, but you can get the same thing with area lights and seeing the same ones used over and over again is getting kinda old so i agree with joopson: lose it. you can also experiment with different colored area lights to get a better mood - but like gster says, don't worry about render times, it's the quality that matters at the end of the day. if you were creating an animation i'd worry about render times... this is just a still image. let it crank out in a command prompt window for a day or so.

only real gripe i had about the image in the first place was the metallic flaking in the paint shader. honestly the flakes in car paint are almost sickeningly numerous BUT are just about literally the size of a pinprick. maybe 1/5th of a millimeter. MAYBE.

as far as environment/flooring options, a tiled floor would be kinda neat, but a color that is NOT in the gray family... how about a darker shade of orange? cerulean blue? magenta? something nobody really uses but has a definite bold feeling.

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 24-06-2008 at 11:11 AM.
# 19 24-06-2008 , 05:52 PM
Jr.Who
Here's some adjustments to the ground (I tried a checkered one, and it didn't fit):

New Ground Pic 1
New Ground Pic 2

And, since everyone wants it changed, here's a new HDR (one that I originally wanted to use, but couldn't find):

New HDR Pic 1
New HDR Pic 1

I'll work on the flakes. Once everyone has decided on the best HDR, then I'll render out the HDs.
user added image

# 20 24-06-2008 , 06:33 PM
Again with the HDR? user added image

but its a little better than uffizi... but i think area lights would be much better... ask me if you need help with that.

Also, whats with the HD pic thing? just render one image from the front and one from the back. we dont need HD, and, as you say, it takes too long. Just render out at 640*480.

www.joopson.com
# 21 24-06-2008 , 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Joopson

but its a little better than uffizi... but i think area lights would be much better... ask me if you need help with that.

Also, whats with the HD pic thing? just render one image from the front and one from the back. we dont need HD, and, as you say, it takes too long. Just render out at 640*480.

Exactly, get a studio style render in there, sod the time it takes and dont bother with the HD rendering till you've finished.

Make another camera and zoom in and render to see the paint.

# 22 26-06-2008 , 06:39 PM
Jr.Who

# 23 26-06-2008 , 07:23 PM
just remember what i said about the flakes and it should be fine. Again though, you are wasting your time with the HD renders, you should render the smaller ones and save the HD ones until you are sure you have finished.
One thing i JUST realized is how black the windows are. that is taking away from the reality of it, as i have never seen solid black windows :-P, but you probably did that just to hide the un-modeled interior, so its fine.

-Andyuser added image

www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 26-06-2008 at 07:25 PM.
# 24 27-06-2008 , 07:38 AM
The flakes still need some work, google metalic paint or take some pics of cars with it on.

Again dont bother with the HD stuff untill your ready for the final render, theres no point, unless youve got plenty of time on your hands, if thats the case set up a studio render with areas lights.

# 25 28-06-2008 , 05:25 PM
I think the flakes need to be very tiny. So tiny that you can't point one out, but big enough that you know they're there. Also, why no license plate? I don't see those often on 3d cars, but I think they look cool.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 26 29-06-2008 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber
Hey,

with the modeling, the rear lights looks abit to flat and injested into the car... usually they bolk out abit if you get what i mean user added image

with the rendering, tbh the grey isnt really doing it for me at the moment ... i reckon try rendering in red first, then once youved nailed it down, change it to grey...

also you car seems to be abit too-reflective to my liking, try dim them abit more. and another thing, try and add some glossy-ness to the car as most car renders ived seen have applied that method.

goodluck with this, as ived always giving up on rendering stuff, haha! user added image

Marlon

# 27 29-06-2008 , 07:46 PM
Jr.Who
OK, I'm about done with this… I'm getting really bored working on this project and waiting for ZB3. I'll probably update my website tomorrow with these images:

New Pic 1
New Pic 2
New HD Pic 1
New HD Pic 2
Thanks a lot for the help, guys. user added image