Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-07-2008 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber

Moving Geometry Subdiv

Continuing on from my previous problem converting to Subdiv which was solved and the thread can be found here.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=30303

Now all my geometry is sorted and my model was successfully converted to Subdiv I'm having problems moving geometry around. When I click on the UV's a message appears in the script editor saying '//Warning: Some items can't be moved in 3D view'. I expected to be able to move the geometry around with the move tool but the handles don't even appear. What am I doing wrong, have I got the wrong end of the stick when thinking this was possible?

Any pointers would be great

Ignorance is bliss
# 2 20-07-2008 , 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Thats normal. You manipulate those in the UV Editor not 3D space. You were probably looking for vertices instead.

- Genny
# 3 20-07-2008 , 02:12 PM
Senior Software Developer
I would suggest going into Polygon mode and heading down the Verts side. This allows you to edit on Sub-D's using your original poly mesh, and you can edit this as you can normally using the normal poly tools.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 20-07-2008 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
UV editor how do you get to it, how is it different to editing the vertices as advised, I'm still such a noob

Ignorance is bliss
# 5 20-07-2008 , 02:36 PM
Senior Software Developer
Go to Window > UV Editor...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 20-07-2008 , 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
UVs are there to be moved around in the UV Editor to create a flattened version of the model for texture painting, it doesn't edit the actual geometry at all.

- Genny