Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-10-2008 , 06:46 PM

Border indicator for render

Hello. I would like to know how to turn on some kind of indicator that will show me exactly how much of the image in a given camera view will be rendered.

Like just an outline or box overlay that will show me the border of the area of the real-time view that will be rendered so I can actually set up my cinematography without having to guess what I'm going to get when I render.

The indicator would obviously need to be a different shape if I was rendering in 16:9, 4:3 or some other aspect ratio. Does anybody know what I mean?

I'm sorry for asking this if it has been answered already, but I couldn't figure out what to search for to find out if it had.

Thanks a lot.

# 2 23-10-2008 , 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Look in the Display section of your camera's shape tab, there are a bunch of useful stuff you can check off.

- Genny
# 3 23-10-2008 , 08:00 PM
quite simple, really.
go to view>camera settings>resolution gate

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 24-10-2008 , 11:45 AM
Fantastic! I knew it was something really simple like that but I just couldn't find it. Thanks so much guys!

One more question though if I may: Can I change the color of the resolution gate?

The first scene that I turned on the resolution gate in had a lot of dark green, and the resolution gate was dark green so I couldn't see it very well.

Thanks for all the help! This is the most helpful Maya forum I know of.

# 5 24-10-2008 , 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah you can. Windows>Settings/Preferences>Color Settings. I think its in the inactive tab, should be camera or something like that.

- Genny
# 6 25-10-2008 , 09:54 AM
Ah you're right.

For anybody else who wants to know exactly: the color setting for the resolution gate is in Inactive>Objects, and it's called Cameras.

Excellent. Thanks for all your help GecT!