Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-01-2010 , 06:18 PM

Polygon Breaks When Smoothing

Hey guys. I haven't used maya for a really long time and I'm starting too get back into it by modeling simple objects. I was modeling a floppy disk and for some reason when I smooth it, a crease appears on one of the sections.

At first I thought I forgot to merge some vertexes but I checked and they were all connected. I don't know why it's doing this. There is something funny with one of the normals but I don't know if that's a problem or not.
Here are some pics:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 22-01-2010 , 06:26 PM
I've been gone too long... :p
user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 3 22-01-2010 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
I've been gone too long... :p
user added image

looks like the normals might be facing the wrong way, reverse them,

# 4 23-01-2010 , 03:39 AM
Technical Director
Merge your vertices with a distance of 0.0001. It seems you have vertices on top of each other.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 28-01-2010 , 05:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll give it a shot.