Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-09-2011 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber

My First Modelling Video

Hi all,

Thanks to Jay I've managed to get screen recording happening within Maya and I'd like to share with you the first recording I did.

Maya Speed Modelling - Sci-Fi Grenade - YouTube

*Spoiler Alert*
The model being made in the video is this 'Sci-Fi Grenade';
user added image

I didn't have any reference material handy, nor did I do any prior-planning, which REALLY shows as there are many 'thought pauses' in the video. Basically I just hit record and started modelling something, just for the hell of it! The normal-speed video was 30 minutes, so that's the time frame you're seeing there.

Might take the grenade concept and make a tutorial out of it, showing game asset workflow; Hi-Res > Lo-Res > UVs > Normal/AO maps > Texturing etc. And for that I WILL do some planning, honest.

Martin.

# 2 05-09-2011 , 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Not a bad first video. One question that has been poking at me since around the 1:18 mark. When you use booleans, do you you normally not clean up the mesh? Has that caused you issues or do you not build your models for smoothing?

- Genny
# 3 05-09-2011 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber
I generally don't clean up my hi-poly models simply because I won't be texturing or deforming them, and the AO/Normal map transferring process doesn't (in my experience) require the hi-res model to have clean topology. Even if I indend to take them into ZBrush to sculpt I'll be generating an entirely new skin for them when I get there anyway.

For my low-poly in-game models I'll always keep the topology nice'n'tidy user added image

Martin.

EDIT: Feel free to say 'YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG!' I'm still a newbie to all of this so any tips and pointers are welcome and greatly appreciated.

EDIT v2.0: Another render I did of the grenade, better showing the functionality and intended colouring,
user added image

Last edited by KartoonHead; 05-09-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: OCD
# 4 05-09-2011 , 05:06 PM
Acid44
Looks good man. I've wanted to model a grenade for a while, you've inspired me to do so user added image

# 5 05-09-2011 , 06:59 PM
The Nurb Herd
hmm, not so keen on the model to be honest. I think its really basic which is just because you didn't plan anything. I like the video, its cool that people are making videos more now.

I think you definitely need to turn shadows on, your render is quite flat.

# 6 05-09-2011 , 08:18 PM
The thin red line
Your doing it all wrong (you said I could) no if you under stand that you are doing like I think you do I think thats OK but if you were some one trying to get into the industy I would say that it is good practice to keep to your mesh clean..........dave

# 7 05-09-2011 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber

not so keen on the model to be honest. I think its really basic

It's not meant to be impressive or complex at all, I'm still very much in the early stages of my modelling 'career' as such, and just wanted to improvise something (for 'something' also see 'anything') for a bit of fun. I have since had looooads of great ideas for details, which I really should have jotted down before even starting, but like I said, it wasn't a very ambitious outing in Maya to start with user added image

you definitely need to turn shadows on, your render is quite flat.

Was struggling with the rendering because Maya had disabled Mental Ray rendering without asking first (how rude!) did a few google searches to find out why Mental Ray wasn't appearing in my render options and it turns out that Maya 2012 makes a habit of turning your plug-ins off on a whim.

Figured out how to get Mental Ray going today actually, so I did a new render of my AK-47 model;
user added image
(see, I can do half-decent models too!)

Martin user added image

# 8 06-09-2011 , 07:21 AM

Your doing it all wrong (you said I could) no if you under stand that you are doing like I think you do I think thats OK but if you were some one trying to get into the industy I would say that it is good practice to keep to your mesh clean..........dave

@ Dave When you say clean topology do you mean, the clean topology option in the releveant tab/menu, Because I dont think I clean mine either ,sorry on and off maya all the time I forget things ??

# 9 06-09-2011 , 07:52 AM
The thin red line
By clean mesh I mean a mesh made up of quads no ngons, a tri here and there should be OK so long as it does not have to deform or better still hiden..........dave

# 10 06-09-2011 , 07:59 AM

By clean mesh I mean a mesh made up of quads no ngons, a tri here and there should be OK so long as it does not have to deform or better still hiden..........dave

So would a organic have to be made fully of quads and ngons? if planning on animating and texturing, because I think my current model has tri's here and there??

# 11 06-09-2011 , 08:16 AM
The thin red line
Fully quads if possible, no ngons..........dave

Edit:the odd try here and there so long as its in a place that will not deform like inner ear or top of the head

Last edited by daverave; 06-09-2011 at 08:21 AM.
# 12 06-09-2011 , 12:50 PM
Subscriber
Here you go, this one's MUCH better, and comes in under 2 minutes!

Maya Speed Modelling - Simple PC Monitor - YouTube

*Spoiler Alert*
This is the model I'm making here,
user added image

Didn't do any pre-planning for this one either but it's such a simple model I really didn't need to :p
(plenty of Ngons in there, but like I said, anything I'm using in-game I keep all quads, the hi-poly models are for generating Normal and Ambient Occlusion information only)

Martin.

# 13 06-09-2011 , 02:03 PM
The Nurb Herd
that look low poly to me.

# 14 06-09-2011 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber

that look low poly to me.

You'd chop all those vents into the back of a low-poly model?

EDIT: The above model is around 1,300 tris.

This is what I'd call a low-poly model (116 triangles),
user added image

Martin.

Last edited by KartoonHead; 06-09-2011 at 03:08 PM.
# 15 06-09-2011 , 03:59 PM
The Nurb Herd
it may be 1,300 but it still looks low poly.

i just think you should model from reference. If you have only done a handful of tutorials its the one thing you will not have learned. When you watch a tutorial you are just following what someone else is doing. You don't get a chance to study any reference material and create from that.
I just don't see the point in creating something in maya from nothing. Even just doing a doodle and having that next to you would help.
I really like your videos tho! don't stop those... even if you modelling style is unorthodox.

Last edited by honestdom; 06-09-2011 at 04:32 PM.