Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-09-2011 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber

Cannot assign material

I am doing the eyeball tutorial from simplymaya right now and I am at the point at which I have to assign materials to the eyeballs. However it seems that I cannot assign any material to my objects. However, when I create a new polygon sphere I can assign materials to that object.

When I reopen an older savefile I can assign a material to my objects before the UV-mapping part. So I guess it has something to do with that.

Does anyone know what is going wrong here?

Last edited by Iljoesjin; 15-09-2011 at 09:52 PM.
# 2 15-09-2011 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
can you post some pictures?

# 3 15-09-2011 , 11:23 PM
did u tried uv linking ( unless linked, the object looks like same as shader non applied ) if you are using any image in your shader. Right click on object go UV Sets > UV Linking. Link your image to the relevant set.

Might help

# 4 15-09-2011 , 11:49 PM
Lifetime Member
hmmm UV mapping shouldnt have affected it..interesting. Try Edit>delete by>shader. This will clear the shader then try to apply it again. I have had trouble lately with Maya assigning shaders I had used but deleted..when I applied new ones it came up with the old shader...even though it didnt physically exist. Delete history etc as well. Sometime they just flip thier lids and corrupt..I have had this many times though usually in big scenes. Let us know how you went mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 16-09-2011 , 08:34 AM
Subscriber
I tried the things bullet and simplycreative said, now I don't what exactly did the trick, but I have assigned the materials right now user added image Thanks a lot!

# 6 16-09-2011 , 10:10 AM
Lifetime Member
It worked...thats the problem solved! LOL well done mate! have fun now user added image

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes