Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 19-12-2011 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
Here is a tutorial for planet making. It shows how to make the atmosfere glow.

https://www.wastedgeek.com/?p=5

For space clouds use any technique to make clouds or dust and just put it in space, but is faster to use particles that can be rendered with maya hardware or the hardware render buffer, such as sprites.
You can make a spherical cloud surrounding the scene using max and min distance in the emiter.

Last edited by taquion; 19-12-2011 at 06:43 PM.
# 17 19-12-2011 , 06:58 PM
Noober than noob

Here is a tutorial for planet making. It shows how to make the atmosfere glow.
For space clouds use any technique to make clouds or dust and just put it in space.

https://www.wastedgeek.com/?p=5

Thanks, i tried but it doesn't work without connecting it to the camera (something that I don't want to do), and the way my scene is set, there is a total dark area behind Earth so that type of shader won't work. I'd need something that glows but also shows transparency from where the camera views. The kind of Earth atmosphere I'd like to make is like this:
https://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/asteroid-hits-earth-2.jpg

There are 3 options I can find for clouds, but the scene requires one that will not crash it.
1. Use of liquids. Good aspect but eats loads of ram.
2. Dynamic particles... can't get those to work without crashing even the simplest scene whenever I assign the particle cloud texture to it.
3. nParticles. Works best for comets, but fails hard when I require them to just sit still. Is there a way to freeze the particles?

# 18 19-12-2011 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
To freeze the particles you can disconect them of the emiter in the dinamic relationships window or delete the emiter.
If you have crashing problems you should try sprites, they are very light to render.

edit:
Wow, this asteroid goes directly to my head

Last edited by taquion; 19-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.
# 19 20-12-2011 , 12:19 AM
Noober than noob

To freeze the particles you can disconect them of the emiter in the dinamic relationships window or delete the emiter.
If you have crashing problems you should try sprites, they are very light to render.

edit:
Wow, this asteroid goes directly to my head

Here's what I'd want to use for a comet. They are nParticles. These I'll have to figure out a way to attach them to the comet body and have them emit as the comet moves.
The cosmic dust clouds need to sit still and I'm not sure which type of particles to use to get irregular cloud-like shapes.

The asteroid pic isn't mine though, it's just a picture I've shown as example.

Here's what my Earth looks like at this point. It's still not light blue enough though. I want it to look more realistic, the one in the tutorial doesn't have that light-blue tint going around it.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 20-12-2011 at 01:25 AM.
# 20 20-12-2011 , 01:26 PM
Subscriber
Just parent the emiter to the comet geometry.
To stop the nparticles choose an initial state when they look fine for you and delete the nucleus or uncheck enable..
To stop particles do the same and check off is dynamic in the general control atributes.

I would lower the specular color of the planet and tweak the specular parameters because it looks almost metalic unless you want it like this. It could be earth before the oxygen produced by algaes oxidized the iron disolved in the sea making it bue.

Last edited by taquion; 20-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
# 21 20-12-2011 , 03:41 PM
Noober than noob

Just parent the emiter to the comet geometry.
To stop the nparticles choose an initial state when they look fine for you and delete the nucleus or uncheck enable..
To stop particles do the same and check off is dynamic in the general control atributes.

I would lower the specular color of the planet and tweak the specular parameters because it looks almost metalic unless you want it like this. It could be earth before the oxygen produced by algaes oxidized the iron disolved in the sea making it bue.

Thanks, now I just have to figure out how to do that parenting to polygon.

Specular color is orange, but appears blue when looked from where the light is (due to atmosphere being lighted).
I had the specular of the ocean lowered but didn't seem like the views from outer-space I saw on youtube (real Earth), for example search Planet Earth From Space heroes of Space Travel HD and look at 1:40, that's what I'd like my Earth to be. That's why I raised it higher, to give that sunrise/sunset effect when you are looking at the planet from that side where the sun rises/sets.
This Earth can be considered what it would look like in 100 years or so, as the events that this will be used in happen somewhere in the future or alternate universe, whichever option people may consider.

Seems I'll need to make the atmosphere not cyan, but dark blue to get that faded blue effect all over the sphere.

Need to figure out a way to blend the Earth at night map with the day one. Saw a video in which someone mentioned making the night map appearing only on the side of the planet that is not lit up. How can this be done? A 4th sphere + Surface luminance or something else?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 20-12-2011 at 03:50 PM.
# 22 20-12-2011 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
to parent, only drag and drop whith the middle mouse button in the outliner.

# 23 20-12-2011 , 04:25 PM
Noober than noob

to parent, only drag and drop whith the middle mouse button in the outliner.

Hmm, I've totally neglected the outliner all this time, had no idea what it was useful for. Thanks.

Another thing about the space scene: Should I add a sphere that surrounds the scene, with stars and transparency set to show only the stars? Just so that the Milky Way could be seen in the distance.

Still have to figure out a way to make a torus with space dust. Unless... I could copy the particles of the comet but that might crash the scene... Maybe I can just use that sphere's transparency to show space dust all over the area, but the dust would be PNG.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 20-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.
# 24 20-12-2011 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
then you can use edit/parent.

If you are planning not to use the outliner you will most probably develop serious mental damage.

when using the nparticles is better to uncheck colisions and self colide if you are not using it.It will make the whole thing faster.

Last edited by taquion; 20-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
# 25 20-12-2011 , 06:24 PM
Noober than noob

then you can use edit/parent.

If you are planning not to use the outliner you will most probably develop serious mental damage.

when using the nparticles is better to uncheck colisions and self colide if you are not using it.It will make the whole thing faster.

It's not like i was planning not to use it. Just never knew what it was for. O.o That sounds horrible lol...
Tried to make the galaxy view using a sphere and transparency... it sucked. Well, nparticles seem to be the only thing that I can use here. Just hope I can export them from 1 scene to the other..

# 26 20-12-2011 , 08:45 PM
Noober than noob
I tried deleting the emitter of the nParticle cloud, but the second i switch to frame 0, all of them just disappear.
I want to keep (freeze) this cloud in the shape that it is now, remove the object that emits it, and also export the cloud to the Solar System scene. Can I do that?

EDIT: never mind, i misread, you said the Nucleus. Barely found it lol. Thanks.

But it still disappears when I re-load the file...

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 20-12-2011 at 09:12 PM.
# 27 20-12-2011 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
Select the nparticle object and go to nsolver/initial state/set from current.
Then go to the nucleus (in the atribute editor) and uncheck enable.

The nparticles will keep the same state you chose in set from current.

to export, select the nparticle object and go to file/export selection.

Last edited by taquion; 20-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.
# 28 20-12-2011 , 09:54 PM
Noober than noob

Select the nparticle object and go to nsolver/initial state/set from current.
Then go to the nucleus (in the atribute editor) and uncheck enable.

The nparticles will keep the same state you chose in set from current.

to export, select the nparticle object and go to file/export selection.

Thanks, that worked, but for some reason, the cloud just won't appear in the scene. Even if the cloud is in front of the camera, it just won't be illuminated. It has a Particle Cloud texture assigned.
But as it is now, it cannot even be seen by the camera, i don't know if this has to do with the distance, but last time i increased distance to max, the camera view looked weird.

Edit: even when the camera can see the cloud, it still won't render.

It's odd, because in the scene where I made this cloud it rendered with the same settings in Mental Ray. Could it be the light that's causing the cloud to not appear? Because that's basically all that this scene has that the cloud's scene doesn't.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 20-12-2011 at 10:43 PM.
# 29 21-12-2011 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
ckeck that is lighted in window/relationship editor/light linking/light centric.
Maya hardware dont render particle clouds.
Also the particles could be in a layer that is deactivated.
Also check what camera are you rendering, could be another one.

# 30 21-12-2011 , 03:56 PM
Noober than noob

ckeck that is lighted in window/relationship editor/light linking/light centric.
Maya hardware dont render particle clouds.
Also the particles could be in a layer that is deactivated.
Also check what camera are you rendering, could be another one.

It shows in the list.
I use mental Ray, not Hardware, and I am sure MR rendered it last time in the other (original, where nparticles were created) scene, so why doesn't it do same here?
I don't use layers so this scene has only master layer.
All renders are done through CosmicCam (the preferred camera) and everything in the bottom left viewport is seen, with the exception of the particle cloud.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 21-12-2011 at 03:58 PM.