Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-04-2012 , 04:56 AM

HELP! Edges are really sharpe

Sorry if someone already posted about this already. I'm trying model a car and i have some weird really hard edges that shouldn't be there.

Please look at the pics via link, if anyone can help it would be really great.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11180...CLjC1fnN_YO7Lg

Thanks in advance

# 2 19-04-2012 , 05:04 AM
Technical Director
Are the vertices merged? Have you softened the normals? (Normals>Soften Edge)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 19-04-2012 , 06:00 AM
You need to explain what the screen shots are please. I am assuming the two images to the right are a smoothed and unsmoothed image?

If they are you clearly have an issue in the area of the sharp edge. It may be unmerged verts, co-resident vert, or co-planar faces, or flipped normals, .....

If you can upload a .ma I can take a look at it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 19-04-2012 , 05:37 PM
Select those edges & Soften them.

# 5 19-04-2012 , 07:20 PM
?? This is what I mean by you need to give more information. It looks to me like you are smoothing the model in which case softening the edges will not do anything.

So ...

1. Is the model in the images above showing the crease smoothed or unsmoothed?

2. There are three screen shots. What is each one suppose to be showing?

I am assuming the left is smoothed showing the crease, the middle one is smoothed with wire frame, and the right one is unsmoothed with wireframe.

There are a lot of things that can cause that kind of creasing. Border edges because of unwelded verts, edges on top of each other, flipped normals.

If you do not want to upload the model then all I can recommend is use the cleanup tools and look for non-manifold geometry, polygons with zero area, edges with zero length, ngons, tris.

Turn on show border edges and make sure you don't have unwelded verts or holes.

Turn off two-sided lighting to see if you have flipped normals.

good luck.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 19-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.
# 6 19-04-2012 , 07:24 PM
You can see that there is an edge inside the extrusion, I think the sharpness is normal. If you have two edges close together like that, it will be sharp when smoothed - just move it away or remove it.

# 7 19-04-2012 , 07:26 PM
yeah I could not really detect anything from the screen grabs but yeah two edges on top of each other will form a sharp edge but to me it looks like the verts along that corner are not merged.

# 8 19-04-2012 , 08:43 PM
Thanks guys, yes all vertices merged, I will try all the suggestion and if it doesn't work I will upload the file.

# 9 19-04-2012 , 11:09 PM

?? This is what I mean by you need to give more information. It looks to me like you are smoothing the model in which case softening the edges will not do anything.

So ...

1. Is the model in the images above showing the crease smoothed or unsmoothed?

2. There are three screen shots. What is each one suppose to be showing?

I am assuming the left is smoothed showing the crease, the middle one is smoothed with wire frame, and the right one is unsmoothed with wireframe.

There are a lot of things that can cause that kind of creasing. Border edges because of unwelded verts, edges on top of each other, flipped normals.

If you do not want to upload the model then all I can recommend is use the cleanup tools and look for non-manifold geometry, polygons with zero area, edges with zero length, ngons, tris.

Turn on show border edges and make sure you don't have unwelded verts or holes.

Turn off two-sided lighting to see if you have flipped normals.

good luck.

Yes YES! thanks man, I must have flipped it or something. you saved me from punching my screen.

Cheers.

# 10 02-06-2012 , 02:09 PM
select all the faces beside the hard edge and reverse it's normals