Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 12-05-2012 , 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Nice Dom, renders just fine now user added image

- Genny
# 17 12-05-2012 , 07:38 PM
Lifetime Member
thanks Dom for that info, and opened your file, got a bunch of errors, and 2/3 modeled objects were missing.

so, I selected each object in original scene file separately, did a mesh>cleanup
deleted all lights in scene(except monitor lights), created 2 area lights, set depth map resolution to 4096 with a filter of 2
scene renders in under 42 seconds.... wOw
amazing how just the lights alone could affect the render by so much

I know the change I just made isn't correct, just wanted to see if there'd be a difference
will do some learning on proper lighting and come back in future to do it right.

many thank to all for their help and input.

J.B.

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 18 13-05-2012 , 11:07 AM
The Nurb Herd
Thats odd. Sorry, I was quite brutal about what I deleted. that's was all that was visible in the original file.

Lots of point lights will increase render time, same with area lights. 4k depth map shadow seems super huge. I use depth map shadows at 512x512 usually. Currently rendering at 128x128 but i have about 20 lights.

# 19 13-05-2012 , 02:39 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Dom, I can handle brutal, especially if it helps me to understand what I did wrong user added image

Knew the depth map attributes were wrong, honestly was just adjusting settings to see what difference it made in render time compared to render quality.
Have watched the 3 point lighting tut several times, some made sense, some didn't ......
so I figure if I do a tut, and build the lighting there, it'll help me to understand how to properly light this scene also, to a degree ......

The 20 lights you have don't drag out your render time ???

J.B.

# 20 13-05-2012 , 07:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
Nah, but I'm rendering fur, 3d motion blur, displacement and sub-surface so render time is around 1.5 hours per frame. I should say i only use depth map shadows on the fur. You should give ray trace shadows a go.

# 21 13-05-2012 , 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
I really think it was corruption, on this end anyway. I remember checking the lights expecting to see some kind of crazy setting, but neither dmap or raytrace shadows were enabled and it was still taking forever to render.

- Genny
# 22 13-05-2012 , 09:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Genny, good to know, and makes sense
when I deleted the cabinet "hilight" lights there didn't seem to be much of a difference
as soon as I deleted the main area light, and created a new one, poof, big difference when rendering

Dom, I see what you mean, switched to raytrace shadows

definitely not finished now, as need to learn proper light setup, but curiosity got the better of me and attached is latest render, in just 42 seconds user added image

Attached Thumbnails