Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-06-2012 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber

Texturing and Finishing up a Model

Hi Guys

Need some help, I have been following a lot of tutorials the last year and have started a lot of my own projects but my biggest challange at the moment is Texturing and finishing up a model to look good...
I am tired of modeling something and end up not finishing because of the lack of texturing and finishing skills
With Modeling and Animation side of things I can get by, but dam is there no easyier way to texture and colour your model?

Now my question is should I take a short course in Photoshop (but i think it wont help because they are just gonna teach you the tools and UI)
Or should I rather take a course in painting to actually teach me techniques on how to reach sertain looks like rust on metal with smuged oil and chiped off paint....etc sure you guy know what i mean

The thing is I dont have a artistic background or painting experiance, but more a technical and engineering background...dont get me wrong I am not giving up but for me at the moment I would feel beter if my models have at least a decent "clay colour" or that "soft white" colour on a turntable to actually look like something
Then I can at least get a portfolio started on my modeling skills, and who ever looks at my resume would understand I am a modeler and not a texturer....(sounds a bit off...lol)

Sure you guys will get the point
Any help on this subject would be highly appreciated

Kind Regards
Saintlimitless

Conquering The World One Pixel At A Time !!!!
# 2 30-06-2012 , 10:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sounds like you just need to find a few tuts on getting nice 3-point lighting setups or clay renders to show off your models. And look at rendering out wireframes too.

# 3 30-06-2012 , 11:15 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 02-07-2012 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys but I did do the 3 point tut, the lighting is not the problem
Texturing is my concern,

To give you an idea of what i am looking for take a look at the 1 tut here on simply maya the JERRYCAN, i am looking for that kind of 1 tone smoothed out render on my models for now just to buy me some time till i can get some more texturing tuts under the knee, even the Hard Surface - Heckler & Koch USC Rifle tutorial's texture can work (will be starting that tut soon in any case)
If also seen ppl present there models in that endless white room how do they achive that?

Thanks guys for the response and help so far

If just seen this tut here (MR Using the Physical Sun and Sky Environment) with the alien now that is what i am looking for to have that white colour on my models while still keeping all that detail, that would be the most acurate look i am trying to achive

Conquering The World One Pixel At A Time !!!!

Last edited by illuder; 02-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.