Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-07-2013 , 08:57 PM

Modeling a "Corinthian Style Capital"

Hey Everyone,

I have a very specific question on an item I'm building. I'm modeling a 1930's fashioned building that has greek influenced columns with "corinthian style capitals" on top. I have been at it for hours trying to figure out how to go about building them properly, and so far everything I have tried has turned out undesirable. I was thinking of just using a cylinder and mapping an image onto it then applying a bump, however, I'm sure this method would appear very CG and not realistic enough. I've come to realize that I have never had to build a corinthian capital in all the years I've been modeling and I am pretty much at a stalemate here. Has anyone on this forum ever built one of these and if yes how did you go about completing it successfully? Below are two images of one of the models I started. I feel its not constructed properly, but I may be on the right track.

Thanks,
Chris

user added image

user added image

# 2 15-07-2013 , 08:08 AM
Lifetime Member
Bit hard to tell but it looks the part mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 15-07-2013 , 05:36 PM
Thank you for the reply Bullet!

# 4 15-07-2013 , 06:13 PM
The thin red line
You can use the bend deformer to control the sweep................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 18-07-2013 , 06:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with dave on this one....make one and deform then duplicate. Then just scale up a tad for the larger ones etc....I wouldnt go crazy with detail unless its for a close up etc.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes