Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-06-2013 , 01:33 PM

Batch render taking longer than single-frame

Like the title says, user added image I've noticed that the batch render takes longer per frame than a single test render does. As in much longer, almost double sometimes. Is this normal? Or is there something I'm not doing right? I've noticed this with Mental Ray, but I haven't checked if its the same for Maya Software.

Thanks user added image

# 2 28-06-2013 , 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Is the batch set to use all cores(and in the `Render>Render Current Frame> Options` as well)?

- Genny
# 3 01-07-2013 , 02:55 PM
Hi,

Where would I check that? If I go to Render --> Batch Render --> Option box while using the Mental ray Render, I don't see any settings for how many cores to use. Unless that's the one under Parallelism? If I so I have Auto Render Threads checked for both.

# 4 02-07-2013 , 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah that's the one. Try setting both manually and see if that helps.

- Genny
# 5 20-07-2013 , 01:10 AM
glasseye
theres a difference between maya view render and maya batch - these are problems that have been around for ages. I'd like to be helpful but autodesk need to fix. The best solution is to get dirty with 3delight or renderman. Its a pain as translating all shaders into renderman language as its not all straight forward though most translate well. In the long term however you will have faster more predictable results on long renders.

# 6 20-07-2013 , 04:50 AM
Technical Director
You can always use my script to get around the issue:

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=23

Simply change the filename, start frame and end frame variables, and run it in your script editor. It simply batches out the scene by performing single renders in sequence.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.