Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-12-2013 , 03:56 AM

Boolean help.

I'd like to do these three sections in the model I'm working on, can someone make it simpler or give me a pointer or three..lol. I'll probably try an instance on them but I'm sure there will be issues.

Attached Images
# 2 31-12-2013 , 04:46 AM
Technical Director
What exactly are you asking for help with? Make what simpler?

In my opinion, I would avoid using booleans for that. A few simple clicks with the cut poly tool will be much less time consuming than dealing with the tedious boolean tools.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 31-12-2013 , 08:02 AM
The image does not make it clear what you are trying to do. Can you explain it or make a better image / drawing?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 31-12-2013 , 04:02 PM

The image does not make it clear what you are trying to do. Can you explain it or make a better image / drawing?

I wanted to Boolean these vents for the brakes on this Camaro instead of piling edge loops in their like I did.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 5 31-12-2013 , 06:15 PM
Technical Director
Regardless if you use booleans or extrusions, you will come out with the same result. What booleans create are called n-gons, or polygons with the number of edges greater than 4. If you smooth these ngons, it will create bad geometry, and unpredictable results. Using booleans is generally a frowned on approach in Maya, as you spend more time cleaning up after them, then by doing it entirely by hand.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 31-12-2013 , 07:53 PM

Regardless if you use booleans or extrusions, you will come out with the same result. What booleans create are called n-gons, or polygons with the number of edges greater than 4. If you smooth these ngons, it will create bad geometry, and unpredictable results. Using booleans is generally a frowned on approach in Maya, as you spend more time cleaning up after them, then by doing it entirely by hand.

Thank you. I knew they made a mess of the mesh and were pains to clean up after. I was just curious if someone had perfected them yet, or gotten them to work better I should say. I read somewhere that bullet was more familiar with using them and maybe he would of chimed in but it's no big deal. Thanks for the explanation though.

# 7 31-12-2013 , 09:04 PM
CTBram is the one who is familiar. There is also a trick Jay showed where you could harden the cuts without doubling the edges. Maybe Jay can chime in here and explain it better. I could do it in C4D because I use it a fair amount when doing subdiv stuff. But I think a Maya tutorial would be better for your use.