Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-02-2014 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber

Large Scale Explosion tutorial

Hello, I just have a question about the base Resolution in the fluid dynamic.
I'm working through the simply maya tutorial, and at the start of part8, I'm instructed to adjust the base resolution. When I do this the size of the explosion shrinks? I have xyz size of 100 and boundaries set to none. In the video, his fluid sim still matches the previously generated proxy after adjusting the base res where as mine changes size. (running maya 2012)

Any thoughts, I'm very new to dynamics btw
Thanks
jim

# 2 13-02-2014 , 03:43 PM
SM Tea Boy
Fluid resolution will change what the sim looks like. It's one of the tricky aspects with working with Maya fluids you start out at low res to get an idea of what it will look like then you up the resolution and you'll find your fluid gains detail but changes shape.

If your explosion becomes to small at a higher resolution try pumping a bit more density in through the fluid emitters. In terms of the tutorial it does not matter so much if your primary blast does not match the proxy object exactly it's just there for reference. You can always generate another proxy object to tweak the ground blast. (which is what i may have done I honestly can't remember)

If it's a little out don't worry about it, if it's about 10% of the size then something has gone wrong.

Fluids are tricky very small changes can make a large difference just keep tweaking it until you get what your looking for then go back and do it all again, with something this complex you'll need to go through it a couple of times to figure out whats interacting with what.

If there is anything else i can do just let me know.
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 14-02-2014 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber
Hello, thanks for the quick response. I followed the tutorial along at a base res of 30 and then increased it to 150 before I cached it. The simulation changed to less than half the size of the original which resulted in a different reaction and look. I do understand that this is a complex system and me being new probably means that I'm not yet fully appreciative of all the settings so I shall have another go.
Thanks again!
Jim

# 4 14-02-2014 , 12:41 PM
SM Tea Boy
well a resolution of 150 is pretty massive so you will defiantly see a change. As i said pumping in more heat, fuel and density may work in your case. The problem with fluids is there very complex systems and learning them is not as simple as say watching a modeling tutorial.

If your interested in getting into more complex dynamics in Maya be sure to check out soup https://www.soup-dev.com/index.html look at fluid uprez it will let you keep the same look of the fluid while upping the resolution. One of Maya fluids biggest problems is you can't separate the sim from the look of the fluid, Soup will let you do that.

I will say the learning curve of the soup plugin is so steep it will make you want to throw the computer out the window. Defiantly not for the faint of heart user added image

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 14-02-2014 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
Fantastic, I've had a play with the SOuP stuff and there looks to be some great plugins there. Thanks for the link. I've gone back to the drawing board with fluids. I think I need to spend a lot of time familiarising myself with the settings before I attempt any rendering! Yeah i've come across a lot of tutorials which have given me great results but I have no idea why they worked ha.
Right thanks again
Jim

# 6 14-02-2014 , 04:26 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 17-02-2014 , 10:37 AM
Subscriber
Yeah FumeFX has the capability for great results but I don't have that sort of budget. My eventual goal with all this was to master the fluid dynamics so I could build my own dynamic clouds rig. I was trying to get the sort of rolling skies that were achieved with practical effects such as ink in varied density water, back in films such as independence day. I figured the shock wave of your explosion would be a great start.
Jim

# 8 17-02-2014 , 06:04 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.