Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-05-2014 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber

My cameras disappear...

I'm trying to install a single camera. I bring one into the scene, position left-and-right on the X-axis and up/down on the Y-axis. With the camera still selected, I'll go to "Look Through Selected". I get the view. But it'll need adjusting. So I go to Front View...and the camera is gone. I can still see it in the Outliner and the Hypergraph. But selecting it there doesn't make it appear in the scene even if I dolly 'way out. (and I'm in wireframe,) Nor can I now "Look Through Selected". After first bringing it in, any change of view results in it going away. Where has the camera gone to?

# 2 10-05-2014 , 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
In the front view, under the "Show" menu make sure, "cameras" is ticked on.

- Genny
# 3 10-05-2014 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber

In the front view, under the "Show" menu make sure, "cameras" is ticked on.

Yes. In Front View, Cameras are clicked 'on'.

# 4 11-05-2014 , 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well unless you can upload the scene file, I'm stumped.

- Genny
# 5 11-05-2014 , 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
If you're on another render layer make sure the camera is on it too.

- Genny
# 6 12-05-2014 , 04:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Have you selected the camera in the outliner then selected the front view window and pressed the f key to frame the object? It could also possibly be outside the front views clipping planes.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 7 12-05-2014 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber

Have you selected the camera in the outliner then selected the front view window and pressed the f key to frame the object? It could also possibly be outside the front views clipping planes.

We may be getting close. Today, as I was tackling the problem anew, I saw, in wireframe, a miniscule green line. I zoomed in, but it did not resemble a camera. However; the Outliner/Hypergraph said it was. I enlarged it with the Scale Tool & the attached pic. is what I got. (The line vertical to the plane is what I was seeing.) I had been scaling my cameras up in order that (after moving them about) I could see at a glance which way they were pointing. I don't know if this contributed to the problem. I'm also attaching the doc.

Mr.Yeti: I tried your suggestion, and the frame filled with the green line. Good trick. I'll remember it.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: zip THE CASTLE_TUNNELS.zip (80.9 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by KELLEY; 12-05-2014 at 07:23 PM.
# 8 13-05-2014 , 05:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Those wireframe green squares are orthographic cameras (top, side, front etc). The ones that look like old movie cameras are perspective cameras.

When I opened your scene I got the following warning:
....line 130: Could not find an appropriate startup camera: persp. A substitute will be used. //
This told me that there was a problem with the default perspective camera (persp). Somewhere along the line you have accidentally made the default perspective camera (persp) an orthographic camera. In outliner select the persp camera, in the attribute editor scroll down to the "Orthographical Views" and un-tick "Orthographic".

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 9 13-05-2014 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber

This told me that there was a problem with the default perspective camera (persp). Somewhere along the line you have accidentally made the default perspective camera (persp) an orthographic camera.

A very nice bit of sleuthing, PixelZA. Thank you very much.