Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-05-2016 , 09:26 AM

Gaps

Hi there,
I am experiencing problems with Maya. Basically I was creating a wine bottle but came across a problem when modelling the mouth of the bottle. I just selected the bottle, clicked on the extrude tool and changed thickness of the bottle. But the problem being is that now I have gaps between edges. I attached the file as well so you can see what I mean as I am not sure how to explain it properly. Its driving me crazy AS I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure it out. Please help

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-05-2016 , 12:05 PM
Bored but busy
Make certain "keep faces together" is checked. Should be in the extrude tool settings.

# 3 29-05-2016 , 12:44 PM
It is checked user added image I thought the same before but it didnt solve my problem.

# 4 29-05-2016 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
yes that would be the only thing i could think of also

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 5 29-05-2016 , 09:20 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
That's weird, it's only the outside faces that did that, if keep faces wasn't selected the back side would be separate from the rest of the mesh too. Fastest way to fix is merge them for now. I would goto the base and make sure it was solid when you first extruded.

There must be a split near the base, I can't think of any other reason the outside would do that and not the inside.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 29-05-2016 at 09:23 PM.
# 6 30-05-2016 , 01:47 AM
Lifetime Member
Double check that you don't have duplicate faces from where you're trying to extrude. Can cause issues when extruding.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 7 30-05-2016 , 03:39 PM
thanks guys but I think that ozgalis figured out whats causing the problem

Last edited by ppamela; 30-05-2016 at 03:47 PM.
# 8 30-05-2016 , 03:44 PM

That's weird, it's only the outside faces that did that, if keep faces wasn't selected the back side would be separate from the rest of the mesh too. Fastest way to fix is merge them for now. I would goto the base and make sure it was solid when you first extruded.

There must be a split near the base, I can't think of any other reason the outside would do that and not the inside.

Ozgalis thanks for your kind help. I am fairly new at Maya and I am sorry if this sounds really stupid but how can I make sure it is solid when first extruded? I guess thats my problem here that as soon as I start extruding the edges up from the original cylinder, It just starts splitting slightly (but i had to zoom in and look very closely). So you were right about this. Not sure how to fix it though. Any ideas? Thank you very much

# 9 31-05-2016 , 07:28 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
For now, so you don't need to restart, I would just merge all the verts. You can do this by selecting the verts (the purple dots that need to be merged to 1) shift + right click, this will bring up a small pop up display and you should see something called Merge Verts. You have 2 options, either grab the 2 you want then hit merge to center OR grab all of the verts and select the little box next to Merge Verts. This will give you an options box and you can turn down the "Threashold" so it will only merge the sets close to each other.

I just did a quick search on google for an example if you have trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzvZsYFOWs