Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 17-04-2003 , 06:48 PM
Kevin
kill kill ..attack attack!!!!! user added image

# 32 17-04-2003 , 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
kill kill ..attack attack!!!!! user added image

<adldesigner takes out his weapon, and shoots Kevin with it>
There. Made a point. Anyone else?

# 33 17-04-2003 , 07:38 PM
Ya'll people are silly.

# 34 18-04-2003 , 09:14 PM
lol, The only reason i responded to the thread is because i was searching for GI_Joe (i wanted it) and this popped up in the thread. And i am a mac diehard, and will defend the mac to the very end.. lol. BTW, Im 16, not 15.. lol.

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 35 18-04-2003 , 09:47 PM
hehe... sorryuser added image my baduser added image

Also, for install instructions and an IN DEPTH tutorial, check out
https://www.pixho.com

That mel ROCKSuser added image

...at least it does here at SM! hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 36 19-04-2003 , 01:19 AM

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 37 19-04-2003 , 05:06 AM
Subscriber
the best reason to switch: Mr. Gates - he switched from DOS to Windows...
As a matter of fact we're all using Macs; some of us just don't know :-)

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 38 20-04-2003 , 02:50 AM
SM Alumni

Originally posted by Axel
...As a matter of fact we're all using Macs; some of us just don't know :-)

now that sort of comment will cause bloodshed user added image

Forum_snowboarder33: windows '98 is hated by most windows fans aswell, but things have moved on. Windows XP is incredibly solid, fast and cheap. nothing like '98.

# 39 21-04-2003 , 08:54 PM
You know, what gets me is the whole PC vs. Mac thing is actually quite pointless. Most reviews that you see about speed this and fast that, are all talking about rendering. Now, if you're like me, I spend about 3% of my workday in front of my computer rendering. The rest of the workday I am working in my computer, or doing other things. I use photoshop a lot, but rarely, if ever, do I need to run extensive filter effects on anything. I guess it's because I am an artist and I would much rather paint things myself rather than procedurally blend things with filters.

How much different do you guys think working in Maya on the Mac or PC is? I'm willing to bet, barring Unlimited of course, that there really isn't much of a difference at all. Click a button here, and click a button there, it's all the same.

Just my general insight into all this speed boosts and what not. Most of it talks about rendering, and I just thought about how much time I do spend rendering.

# 40 21-04-2003 , 08:59 PM

Originally posted by wchamlet

How much different do you guys think working in Maya on the Mac or PC is? .... Click a button here, and click a button there, it's all the same.

One of the best comments I´ve ever heard in this PC vs Mac debate .. ever.

# 41 21-04-2003 , 10:14 PM
DAM! ...hehe.. that IS a good one... user added image

Personally, my PC's rock over our brand new mac towers when it comes to litterally everything.
Rendering, calculation, viewport speed, filters at VERY high resolutions etc... (hehe.. WAY more than just blending in my case)

HOWEVER, I just BET if I were to take my BEST PC OR MAC to ILM, or any big pro house, THIER pc's/macs would STILL probably SMOKE mineuser added image

I think it's the techs that make the world go round these 3d daysuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 42 22-04-2003 , 03:57 AM
Wow! :wow: I go away for a little while and you guys go to war. LOL! Seriously, this thread I started has really taken off not to mention, it has really given me a lot of thought about what direction I should go in re: Macs and PCs.

I tried to take my wife into our local Mac store in town to show her why I love the Macs so much and she more or less just thumbed her nose up at everything. LOL! Just as Mr. WChamlet said, there isn't much difference except rendering speeds and I mean, who sits there and watches their work render? user added image That's a job for overnight and for sleeping while it's going on. I recently started working on my first movie again, which I've been working on in Maya on the PC since last September - the movie itself, from the original story idea to sketches to storyboards was started way back in September of 2000. This has been one of the hardest things I've ever done. It's fun and challenging but boy it's mind numbing. I chose to set my movie in a scene I'm working on based on the room in a book called The Maya 4.5 Handbook. I'm altering it a bit to meet the requirements of my story. It's looking good but I have a long way to go. Whether I finish it on a Mac or PC, I just want to finish it. I have no clue how to animate, I spent forever working on lighting my last attempt at building a room and I never could get it to look right (I used GI Joe and RealFakeGI and it came awfully close).

I recently found out that there are places here in Sioux Falls that buy baseball cards but although my cards date back to the early 1970s, I doubt they're worth enough to get either a Mac or a PC. The day I figure this all out, I'll let you all know. Until then... thanks for your time and help!

Russell :banana: :p

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 43 22-04-2003 , 02:46 PM
Hay man! Cool!

I didn't know you lived only a few hours from me!

Kinda cooluser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 44 22-04-2003 , 09:35 PM
Yep! user added image I moved up here from Marietta, GA two years ago and still haven't adjusted to the "change" yet but I'm learning. We'll have to hook up sometime, Rage, and talk "Maya Shop". user added image Maybe you can give me a few pointers as well. LOL!

BTW, back to the topic, semi off topic... I'm still working on my movie and I'm starting to texture my scene and as soon as I get to the point of rendering out a few shots, I'll post them for all of the world (especially you great guys!) to see. I'll keep you posted! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 45 22-04-2003 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Personly I think it gose past rendering times !! I don't have the fastest IBM compatible but it is not slow eather. The two models I'm working on right now have a good amount of detail, but they have very low poly counts for what they are. And there in polys. Nurbs are out of the question. and subD's are even worse for slow !!
But my point is how about trying to move a smothed model around to check your work. Not so fun at 8 frams a sec. Or how many seconds for some of the comands you need to do just to do normal modeling tasks. They don't sound like a lot but if you have to use them more than 3 or 4 times. Well thoughs seconds tern in to minutes FAST.
I model in low unsmothed polys just for the speed resons. But I have to use imajination to predict the results, and I'm still wrong part of the time.
So if I got the speed and power to work with a proxy or CPS smothed model while I tweek AND not have to hold my next thought of what to do while waiting that cuple of seconds just to translate one vertix. Thin that would be better and more enjoyable and productive modeling.

Just my 2 cents, Its more than render times.

BTW you want to be interactive with your dynamic's ,, good luck after 10 or 20 objects are in that mode.